Not really sure where to post

pracydna

pracydna

Hello, I'm very new to this whole cctv thing and I'm finding it to be kinda fun. I'm hoping not to set anyone off in here, so I'm not quite sure what to say without being banned and threatened to have my personal information posted publicly as this guy fenderman did over at ipcamtalk.com today. So if I'm posting in the wrong section, kindly let me know and I'll oblige by any rules you may have here.

I'm looking for a system that I can setup at my house to monitor my property while we're away. I'm not a fan of having an installer come over to do it, because my wife just doesn't feel safe doing that. (She watches way too many investigation shows). I have a couple of ip cameras at the moment that I'm just not completely happy with. Either the motions are too sensitive and keep spamming my email or it's something else. I have a budget of around 2,000.00 and I only need around 6 cameras. My pc can handle anything if I need to go that route. I'd like something reputable, crystal clear (4mp or greater I'm assuming) possibly with noise activation, as well as motion. If there's anyone here who can direct me on what to purchase I'd be very grateful to you. I've researched these cameras for over 3 weeks, purchased and returned a couple and still back to square one. I need help if anyone is willing!

Thanks in advance, 

Andy

mastrmind11

Not sure why you're posting on the Emby forums, but have you tried the Nest line of cameras?

legallink

Hello, I'm very new to this whole cctv thing and I'm finding it to be kinda fun. I'm hoping not to set anyone off in here, so I'm not quite sure what to say without being banned and threatened to have my personal information posted publicly as this guy fenderman did over at ipcamtalk.com today. So if I'm posting in the wrong section, kindly let me know and I'll oblige by any rules you may have here.

I'm looking for a system that I can setup at my house to monitor my property while we're away. I'm not a fan of having an installer come over to do it, because my wife just doesn't feel safe doing that. (She watches way too many investigation shows). I have a couple of ip cameras at the moment that I'm just not completely happy with. Either the motions are too sensitive and keep spamming my email or it's something else. I have a budget of around 2,000.00 and I only need around 6 cameras. My pc can handle anything if I need to go that route. I'd like something reputable, crystal clear (4mp or greater I'm assuming) possibly with noise activation, as well as motion. If there's anyone here who can direct me on what to purchase I'd be very grateful to you. I've researched these cameras for over 3 weeks, purchased and returned a couple and still back to square one. I need help if anyone is willing!

Thanks in advance, 

Andy

I don't know why someone would be banned from any forum for posting that question.  Your issue is not the camera, your issue is the software behind the camera.  Nest/Dropcam/Canary are all systems that have both a camera and software running behind that.  That being said, I've got very little to offer you here.  I would assume this question is better posed in a different forum, but who knows, some emby users may have some experience.

pracydna

Not sure why you're posting on the Emby forums, but have you tried the Nest line of cameras?

I'm not sure either, really. It came up in Google when I searched ip camera support. I have researched Nest and I'm not really looking for something that's on another network. I'd like to be able to record it all from home and change my own options, rather than worrying about it being centralized at an unknown location. 

pracydna

I don't know why someone would be banned from any forum for posting that question.  Your issue is not the camera, your issue is the software behind the camera.  Nest/Dropcam/Canary are all systems that have both a camera and software running behind that.  That being said, I've got very little to offer you here.  I would assume this question is better posed in a different forum, but who knows, some emby users may have some experience.

That makes two of us, I'm still puzzled. If you Google "fenderman on ipcamtalk.com" you'll find that there are quite a few people unhappy with this guy. One person dedicated an entire website for him just to call him an a-hole. lol I'm not sure, but I've moved on. That said, thank you for your recommendation, never heard of canary, I will look it up probably tomorrow. 

Edited by pracydna

CBers

I concur that fenderman is an idiot, as I've had a few run-ins with him as well.

I didn't know there was a whole website dedicated to him, so I'll have a read :D

Anyway, I still use BlueIris, but I'm now a member of the official BlueIris forums at:

http://blueirissoftware.com/phpBB3/

mastrmind11

If you're trying to stay away from the cloud option, check out Ubiquiti's camera.  THeir networking equitment is top notch,so I'd imagine their camera is nice too.

Erik

I'm using Unifi Video Cameras (UVC-G3) and their NVR software on a windows server. It works great, easy installation with POE and centralized setup through the NVR software. Mobile Apps are easy to use as well.

Definitely recommended if you want to have control over all aspects of the setup and no cloud subscriptions.

Edited by Erik

pracydna

I concur that fenderman is an idiot, as I've had a few run-ins with him as well.

I didn't know there was a whole website dedicated to him, so I'll have a read :D

Anyway, I still use BlueIris, but I'm now a member of the official BlueIris forums at:

http://blueirissoftware.com/phpBB3/

Ok, so maybe I'm really not crazy after all. lol Yeah he's something else that's for sure. How do you like Blue Iris, CBers? I've ready mixed reviews on it and yes, I too am a new member of that forum as of a couple days ago. There's not really much there in the ways of support yet, because I think it's rather new. 

pracydna

I'm using Unifi Video Cameras (UVC-G3) and their NVR software on a windows server. It works great, easy installation with POE and centralized setup through the NVR software. Mobile Apps are easy to use as well.

Definitely recommended if you want to have control over all aspects of the setup and no cloud subscriptions

This is great, Erik I'm gonna look into this for sure. When you say "windows server" do you mean that you've setup an FTP server on your current windows rig? Sorry just trying to clarify. 

pracydna

If you're trying to stay away from the cloud option, check out Ubiquiti's camera.  THeir networking equitment is top notch,so I'd imagine their camera is nice too.

Thank you mastrmind11 I'll research on these as well. Wow, so maybe I did post in the right forums. Just didn't get the sub-forum correct! :) Sorry, I'll do better next time. 

Erik

Ubiquiti is the manufacturer of Unifi (one of their product lines).

It works on Linux or Windows, I just happen to use windows server 2012R2 as the operating system.

CBers

Ok, so maybe I'm really not crazy after all. lol Yeah he's something else that's for sure. How do you like Blue Iris, CBers? I've ready mixed reviews on it and yes, I too am a new member of that forum as of a couple days ago. There's not really much there in the ways of support yet, because I think it's rather new.

No, you're not crazy :)

I've been using BI for about 9 months now and think it's really good, especially as the BI support is better via the forums.

Hopefully more people will move across from ipcamtalk so the community builds.

@@Sammy and @@Swynol use BI as well.

• Like 1

pracydna

No, you're not crazy :)

I've been using BI for about 9 months now and think it's really good, especially as the BI support is better via the forums.

Hopefully more people will move across from ipcamtalk so the community builds.

@@Sammy and @@Swynol use BI as well.

Awesome and yes that's a great idea. I think I've made a post over there similar to this one already, but I could modify it and maybe lure some tech savvy's over for us :)

pracydna

Ok so, I'm having a lot of fun with this Blue Iris software. I also purchased the iPhone app and managed to link them without being on the same network (GO ME!). Also managed to create and link an FTP system to an old website I own, so that the images/videos can't get taken/destroyed. I do love the SV3C camera that I have, but I wish it had recording audio and it doesn't. I'm also not a fan of it's FOV, but hey, I'm learning. After configuring everything and evaluating/fine-tuning all 4 cameras that I have, I must say, this Dericam is by far the best one of the 4. This thing is amazing day or night, very clear and crisp. I can't wait for them to come out with a 4mp version. 

Also, thank you CBers and everyone who pitched in for some advice, glad I found this board. :)

Edited by pracydna
  • Like 1