home screen display issues

samhill5215

samhill5215

Hi,

I'm running emby 3.8.34 on an android tv box. My server is a linux box running emby 3.4.1.0. I have my movies in folders named after genres or performers. On the android box the folders appear at the top under My Media followed by groups under My Downloads named Latest <folder name>. My input device is a wireless keyboard and mouse. All the icons trail off to the right of my tv and I am unable to scroll to the right or left in order to open their contents. I can scroll up and down with the mouse wheel. I have found no way to change the appearance of the home screen. This basically makes emby unusable on my android box and I would prefer using emby over kodi. Any help out there?

samhill5215

That one appears to be incompatible with my version. I had to install the one named "Emby for Android". My android version is 4.4.2. I've tried online updating but that fails with a "check your ota server agent" message which according to the web means I'm up to date. I'll look into that a bit more but I'd appreciate your input on the incompatibility issue.

samhill5215

Model version: TX1

Android version: 4.4.2

Build number: KOT49H.20160922 test-keys

Kernel version: 3.10.33

Should I put linux on it? I've been thinking about it.

samhill5215

Any way to upgrade this box to 5.0? It appears these chinese boxes don't get updates hence the ota failure. Lots of stuff online about the horrors of looking for compatible versions and warnings about bricking the box. So last question: can you suggest a reliable website for attempting the upgrade?

$69 will get you a Mi that is fully compatible and may save you a lot of headaches... :).

CBers

I've no idea what that box is.

If there is no OTA update available, then perhaps there is a forum somewhere that @@samhill5215 could locate for an update ROM.

Other than that, the purchase of an official Android TV device is always preferable.

• Like 1

maegibbons

Honestly these "so called" cheap boxes are more trouble than they are worth.  Time is money and you could spend a lot of time trying to upgrade and find that there are other incompatabilities.

If you are on a budget get an Amazon Fire TV device or as @@ebr mentioned the Xiaomi MIBOX3 is excellent.

If money is no object Nvidia Shield.

I have 2 Fire TV Gen 2, 2 Fire TV Sticks and an MIBOX3 in the Bedroom.

(Yeah, im on a budget!!)

Krs

Mark

mastrmind11

You could also just put kodi on the box and go that route if you don't want toget a true ATV box.  However, I will say Emby for ATV is really nice, and the MiBox really can't be beat for the price.

samhill5215

I found an MXQ pro 4k with marshmallow 7.1, 1g ram, 8g rom for $30. Bear in mind emby on the tv box is just for the interface. I have emby server on a linux text only server box for the heavy lifting. Reactions please? The android box looks super, 4 usb, micro sd, ethernet, hdmi, spdif, av.

mastrmind11

I found an MXQ pro 4k with marshmallow 7.1, 1g ram, 8g rom for $30. Bear in mind emby on the tv box is just for the interface. I have emby server on a linux text only server box for the heavy lifting. Reactions please? The android box looks super, 4 usb, micro sd, ethernet, hdmi, spdif, av.

But that's still vanilla Android.  Just spend the extra $50 and get a supported, official Android TV box.  Obviously you have Emby client on the box for the interface, that's how it works.  But the Emby Android client wasn't designed for a 10' experience, and unless you put Kodi on that streamer, you're going to be disappointed...

samhill5215

Thanks again to all. It's been an education above and beyond emby and the purpose of this forum. Chalk it up to me being uninformed. The info on the web is all over the place, especially when it comes to upgrades. For now I'll continue using kodi for my video needs while I try to make sense of android tv. Jeez and some think linux is confusing. I'm almost sorry I got into this.

Q-Droid

There are very few Android TV devices on the market. Everything else is just a box running Android designed for a touch interface. Hence the kludgy "air mouse" remotes, no HD Netflix or Prime and sideloaded apps from who knows where. Even with Kodi they are more trouble than they're worth.