Add a user... Next Up populated?

psybertech

psybertech

Hi there.

If I add a new user, to Emby, they have a TON of things listed in the Next Up section.

They never logged in, they never watched anything, but yet, a seemingly random section of my TV shows show in the Next Up section.

I see this in the web UI and external devices like my FireTV and AppleTV. So it appears systemic.

I can beat it down by logging in as that user and marking all shows as unwatched, but that really is a workaround, not a solution.

What needs to be done to have a new user added and have them start fresh with their watched list clean and just show the options they set for the dash?

FYI... the Next Up has no direct correlation to mine (the main user). It seems to grab some from the top and bottom of the TV shows (A-Z) [White Collar, Archer, The League, etc] but all S01E01.

Please help fix this.

Thanks.

J

When they have never watched anything we show the first episode in this situation.

For people who are new to the software we think it is a better way to learn about the next up feature as opposed to seeing a blank page

psybertech

When they have never watched anything we show the first episode in this situation.

For people who are new to the software we think it is a better way to learn about the next up feature as opposed to seeing a blank page

Luke,

OK.  I get that, but man... 

Its a pain in the ass. Sorry. Maybe since my TV collection is a large?

Simple suggestion.... when creating a new user, add a check box to pre-populate that `feature`? - or leave the Next Up section blank until you start using the app? (even the primary user - more below why *1)

I'd rather not have to walk people through how to find and select all media and mark as not watched and once done, navigate to the next page/rerfresh page and repeat until done.

Or I just log in as them first and do it for them. :(

Yes... I see how it may land low on your list, but imagine a household of 8... then add in test accounts... then guests... etc.... well... uggghhhhh...........

Just imagine me saying: (to a friend , or,  well, anyone...):

"man, stop using Plex! Use Emby! Try this! OH crap..... wait... hold on ( 10 minutes later...)... Joe? Joe? are you still there???.... crap!!! "

and thats just  person #1.

Only happened once today... and once last week...and that's just so far. 

I've only just started pushing Emby over Plex to my inner circle. 

The simple action of adding a user to show them the interface and experiencing all the unnecessary Next Up items by default made them ask way more questions than I was prepared for.

For local users,  I'd need to tweak each user account so they all start clean or show them a how to clean up to start from scratch.

For external friends trying Emby at my recommendation, I'd need to spend the time to explain why this exists and how remedy it. :huh:

OH... and one other situation... 

If I don't explain ot they do not use Emby now, when they first start, coming from Plex or whatever, they might think the 'Next Up' is broken (*1) since it shows things that, well, have no place being there after a fresh, new install.

Just my 2 cents and I do understand why you are forcing it (some content is better than no content).... but please make this an option or in the very least, limit it to a few shows, not sample the entire library.

It threw me when I first came over to Emby. I thought it was flaky or broken and I sorta consider myself somewhat smrt especially when it comes to media servers.

For your consideration at least....

Thanks, Luke!

J

bfir3

This has always been one of the design decisions that left me baffled. I always thought that a feature should have consistency in order for it to be considered good design. A feature that acts one way for situation A and then acts differently for situation B seems like very poor design. What makes it seem like a good idea to show new users random items in Next Up that have absolutely no relevance to them? Do you think users will see it and say to themselves, "oh look, a Next Up section. I guess when I start to watch something with this software, it will replace all of these dummy items in the Next Up category and show the next item in the series that I have started watching."