Live TV recordings and NFO files

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I did a search around the forum and I couldn't find this information anywhere, so I apologize if this is a duplicate post. 

I am trying to understand the purpose of the creation of the nfo files when we do a recording. If someone can explain it so that it makes sense to me that it is good to have them there I will ignore my next question.

Can I turn this off? I don't really like the clutter and I thought one reason for creating nfo files in folders was in case you are using Kodi without the plugin and want Kodi to read those and pull the metadata based on that or something. I can't otherwise see what it is useful for since it is not useful to me personally.

Recordings are saved in a mixed content library. Sometimes in this situation it can be difficult to tell the difference between a tv series folder and a movie folder. The nfo files are forced with the recording process in order to help be a decision maker in regards to this. You can delete them if you want, but then you might see some things getting identified incorrectly by the library scan.

jasonmcroy

Ok. Thanks for the explanation, I at least understand now. 

Does this also apply (needing the files for differentiation) if you separate the folder paths in the DVR? 

If you separate the folder paths and the series recordings are going into a TV library then it won't matter.

• Like 1