cant install on server 2016

ecks669

ecks669

I just built a new server and I am running windows server 2016, I cannot get the setup.exe to install emby server.

I have looking through the forums found several fixes but none of them work, I have tried the following:

Disabled smartscreen

Disabled internet explorer enhanced security configuration

What happens is I run the setup and I get the

Security Warning, Do you want to run this application?

I click run and then get the server downloader it finishes then nothing happens.

If I try to run the same setup.exe it says launching application and then nothing happens.

I can then run:

rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache

and I can once again run setup.exe and get the security warning but again nothing happens after the downloader window, just closes.

Also I tried installing on a Windows 10 machine and it worked right away.
I also tried to run it on my current server (server 2016 as well) where I already have emby installed and it didnt run. However emby is already running fine since I have it installed from long ago on an older installer.
Edited by ecks669

ecks669

I also tried that on an older version and the upgrading didnt work, it just gets stuck in an infinite loop saying it installed a newer version then to restart and it starts again.

So if I install the portable version, how does upgrading work. Will just manually replacing all the new files work? How does that affect any database changes etc

Thanks

Upgrading is automatic but something may have been holding a lock on the folder. But you can always update manually just by unzipping the latest update over the top.

ecks669

OK I will install the portable, is there any best place to install into program files or appdata? I installed into appdata maybe thats why it didnt have the right permissions when trying to update

CBers

Is the exe blocked?

Open the properties and click UNBLOCK if it's there.

By default, server 2016 blocks files downloaded from the Internet.

• 7 months later...
g.rahnema

I haven't seen any comments in a while regarding this topic so I assume there are no more issues with installing Emby Server on Windows Server 2016? 

Happy2Play

I also tried that on an older version and the upgrading didnt work, it just gets stuck in an infinite loop saying it installed a newer version then to restart and it starts again.

So if I install the portable version, how does upgrading work. Will just manually replacing all the new files work? How does that affect any database changes etc

Thanks

I see this behavior on localhost:8096 and the browser is open during update, closing the browser after selecting restart allows the update to happen as the browser is not hold the system folder anymore.

I am starting a vm to see if I have a setup.exe issue.

Happy2Play

Server 2016 Standard with GUI

Clean OS install, disabled IESC on Admin, downloaded setup.exe and ran.

Installation began, pop-up for C++ 2015 runtime installation, clicked Ok and agreed to installation, then clicked close on completion.

Installer proceeded to install Emby, wizard.html launched.

IESC should be the only server requirement.

g.rahnema

Same here, I just installed Emby Server Beta version (3.6.0.84) on Server 2016 Standard and its up and running. The Backup and Restore Plugin worked as well using my old config from windows 10 Pro. I really dig and appreciate the response time alone from the community, makes it worth leaving PLEX behind.