Updated MB Mobile - thanks and thoughts

foghat

foghat

@@darwindeeds

thanks so much for this updated version.  The new player looks great and search is slick.  And now ffmpeg.exe terminates properly.  Ya!

Question: on the release notes you mention that there are now multiple streaming options - looking at the logs, it seems the best choice must be picked automatically in behind the scenes? As I don't see anywhere to select this.

A couple things I've noticed so far:

- as noted in the chromecast thread the remote is not working.  but as noted, this does not appear to be an issue with the latest release and started happening after one of the server updates.

- in the player, the volume slider does not do anything - actually it will mute if you turn it all the way down.  So there is really volume on or off.  Iphone hard buttons do work though.

- in the player the skip forward and back buttons do not work.  Play/pause works fine.

- it takes a longer for a movie/ tv show to start than it does with plex, but server resources are less when transcoding.  When playing on the server, movie starts immediately, even though it is also transcoding - so maybe there are some efficiencies that can still be gained here?

- Sometimes the movie/tv show freezes after playing for about 10-20 seconds or so.  though this could be an issue on my end with wifi.  I don't get a great single in one area of the house and at first blush, it seems I am having the issues when I am in this area.  Will turn this loose with the kids and see if they have any problems - the never watch in the 'weak signal' area.

Great work overall.  Am very much looking forward to the future of this app.

Edited by foghat
  • Like 3

foghat

That is pretty much me and my kids.  :) I'd like to get my friends on something like MBS/MBT/MB Mobile, but aside from the fact none of them are very computer literate and have no idea how to rip (or what ripping even is) movies, they would be lost trying to set up and use this stuff.  :(  And I don't want to become the support guy when things don't work as expected.  :)

• Like 1

Ghostm

Good post foghat, maybe we could just add our findings here to help centralize any issues.

I am finding most of what you are, in addition to the one i posted about songs not having any artwork, not a huge issue, but maybe we could use a different view like the android version for songs, I get album art for albums, but for songs on the home page and when i click on an album their just big black boxes for me. In the web client i think songs use the album art when you play them back, which would also be a fix, i just prefer not to have blank black boxes.

Will test a bit more tonight. Chromecast works well. 

if we could iron out these few issues in the coming weeks, then the app outside a few useful feature requests i have for the future (I will probably make a small feature request at some point in the request forum for a few useful features in the plex app that are not present in the mb3 app) the app itself will pretty much be complete for me. 

Ghostm

Oh one other thing I wanted to mention i have not set it up personally, but redshirt mentioned he included a separate stream setting for chromecast, my chromecast is right next to my router at home, might be useful for some to have a dedicated stream setting for chromecast depending on where they have the chromecast relative to their router. I would probably crank it up to the maximum mbps if i could for chromecast.

Ghostm

And one last thought/question/suggestion.

IS their anyway to select subtitles? I know redshirt has subtitle selections for the android app for chromecast and native android playback. I thought the previous version had subtitle selection playback? Maybe im just missing how to activate them, but it would be nice to be able to select subtitles for ios playback and chromecast.

pd veeps

I'm finding pretty much the same things as foghat.

The remote feature in the ios app doesn't work. The last version did not allow to control MBC either. I can only see what is playing and the play time updates.

The volume slider doesn't work very well. There is pretty much 4 settings. Mute, low, normal, and loud. A good update would make the slider actually control the iphone volume versus being independent of it.

I don't have a chromecast yet so can't test that feature.

The ff and rew buttons don't seem to work. Pause and play work fine. I can use the time slider to ff and rewind which is much nicer than previous versions.

Overall the update is great. The new player is more responsive and doesn't freeze up like the old version.

Keep up the great work!

cucciolina

Now i can't play anything, no remote function and nothing also on my iPhone 5S. I really like the new design of the player but the app it's totally unusable now for me... Why?

Now i can't play anything, no remote function and nothing also on my iPhone 5S. I really like the new design of the player but the app it's totally unusable now for me... Why?

Can you please provide more information, such as what the specific problem is, steps to reproduce, server logs, etc. Thanks.

darwindeeds

Unfortunately, we have limited beta testers and some of these bugs have seeped through. I will address in the next update.

foghat

@darwindeeds

Not sure if you want to bugs in this thread or in there own new post, but here are a couple other things I've discovered.

1. After watching a show or movie it does not get marked as watched (or partially watched if you stop in the middle).  Not on the app and not on the server.

2. If you manually mark something as watched or unwatched on the app, while the watched icon changes appropriately, the change does not propagate to the server - so next time the app refreshes from the server, the change you made on the app is blown away.

Changes to watched status on the server do propagate fine to the app. 

Not sure if this is a new issue specific to the upate or not, as I didn't really use the app before due to the ffmpeq.exe issue.

These are kind of big ones for our viewing habits.  Hopefully you can address for the next release.

Ghostm

Just throwing it out but if you would ever need more beta testers i pretty much run the gauntlet of features available to mb3 on various platforms. Looks like foghat does as well.

On the server side will alot of these changes on the server side be breaking things in app's like this? I hope it does not take much trouble to correct these issues.

I dont use dev server builds so maybe i wouldnt be a good candidate for beta testing this app. Hopefully the beta people do use dev versions of the server to let you know of upcoming problems on the horizon for beta server releases.

Edited by Ghostm

Ghostm

I should also mention i notice i cant play music, it just says url not found, it seems to be working fine yet on the android client so i assume its a bug with ios. Movie and tv shows seem to be playing fine.

And along with no artwork for songs, it seems no tv season level artwork is showing up either. Click on a show, it goes to season (no artwork), click on season and the episodes have artwork.

On the discussion of the delay playing back movies foghat mentioned, i might be in the minority but i like it. It seems to allow playback more smoothly, on other devices that try to playback items immediately like the web client i find i encounter far more frequent stuttering. I prefer the delay in playback if it means smoother video with less buffering/stutter.

Edited by Ghostm

Bigvat

I'm loving the update thanks, 

I don't have any problems with the remote responding to my chromecast. I can pause, resume and fast forward without any problems.

I do seam to be having the same music issue as mention above.

Please could I suggest a shuffle function for future releases as this would make a great addition to the music feature and for my random collection of documentaries.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Ghostm

I'm loving the update thanks, 

I don't have any problems with the remote responding to my chromecast. I can pause, resume and fast forward without any problems.

I do seam to be having the same music issue as mention above.

Please could I suggest a shuffle function for future releases as this would make a great addition to the music feature and for my random collection of documentaries.

Keep up the good work.

I was going to do a small request thread of 4 things I would like to see in this app thats present in the plex or mb3 android app i find very useful. But i figured we should help darwin nail down a few issues here before I request anything.

Shuffle is top of my list. I use it all the time for music. Their is api for something called instant mix, i think luke may have created it, its great but only the web client seems to take advantage of it sadly. It comes up with various songs from your library randomly, its very nice. I hope darwin can sometime find time to add this function down the road.

I think shuffle in mb3 is mainly at the album level, where instant mix mixes your entire library. Then i created a request recently on the server side so we can hopefully send instant mix to a client (unfortunately i dont think this can be done right now) the goal at some point would be what i can do with plex on ios and that is shuffle/mix random songs in the app and then fling or send the entire list of songs to my home sound system or client connected to my home sound system.

But im getting ahead of myself, but instant mix is a great feature I would also love to see for music on ios.

Edited by Ghostm

foghat

it seems no tv season level artwork is showing up either. Click on a show, it goes to season (no artwork), click on season and the episodes have artwork.

This happens to me as well.  But doing a manual refresh just once fixes it  Try do a manual refresh on whatever screen is not showing art.  Go to top of screen and 'pull' it down until it says 'refreshing from server' - it doesn't always say this, but you need to keep pulling down until the are appears.  Usually just a second or 2.  Will probably fix your music issue as well.

Ghostm

Thanks for the info, it does seem to work for tv season artwork (most anyway, some its taking multiple refresh attempts), but with 60 tv shows and 70 albums this may take awhile.

For songs which are not showing artwork, it does not seem to fix it however.

Im also finding tv episode artwork takes quite awhile to load (in comparison to mb3 for android) and sometimes wont load and is also requiring manual refreshing to get the artwork for some of those tv episodes.

Actually to give more specific detail its not slow at all but a separate issue, when i click on a tv season, the epsiode images dont load, but as soon as i scroll past those episodes (for instance episode 1 and 2 are the top, their is no artwork loading for episode 1 and 2, but if i scroll down past 1 and 2 so i cant see them, they will instantly load, and im not refreshing either...). Its a strange error (and minor), but if you just sit and dont scroll past those tv episodes, artwork doesnt seem to load.

Edited by Ghostm

foghat

Actually to give more specific detail its not slow at all but a separate issue, when i click on a tv season, the epsiode images dont load, but as soon as i scroll past those episodes (for instance episode 1 and 2 are the top, their is no artwork loading for episode 1 and 2, but if i scroll down past 1 and 2 so i cant see them, they will instantly load, and im not refreshing either...). Its a strange error (and minor), but if you just sit and dont scroll past those tv episodes, artwork doesnt seem to load.

I see this as well on the actual episodes.  What you describe works, as does doing a refresh.  Not ideal, but not too big a deal - even with a lot of shows, as you don't really need to go in and do them all at once.  Just as you view them works fine for me.

Ghostm

I see this as well on the actual episodes.  What you describe works, as does doing a refresh.  Not ideal, but not too big a deal - even with a lot of shows, as you don't really need to go in and do them all at once.  Just as you view them works fine for me.

Yea for sure, but still a bug to report that should probably corrected at some point.