Issues saving metadata/images in mediafolder

HrHauptfeld

HrHauptfeld

I recently installed Emby on a new Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS.

The libraries are set to save metadata/images in the media folder but Emby is still saving the files in it's own metadata folder.

My guess is that although the shares are mounted via fstab, that Emby is using its own Emby user instead the credentials that I use to mount the shares (they all have RWXD) and therefore using its metadata folder as a fallback. Could that be the case? I'm not that experienced in the world of linux.

What exactly do I have to do to if I want to get around this problem?

Thanks in advance

mastrmind11

check the logs for access denied errors.  either way, just give emby access to the mounts.  it's bad practice to have stuff set to 777 on any machine.

HrHauptfeld

check the logs for access denied errors.  either way, just give emby access to the mounts.  it's bad practice to have stuff set to 777 on any machine.

Good idea. I didn't even checked the logs once. But my guess was correct:

2018-05-11 13:03:24.224 Error ProviderManager: UnauthorizedAccessException - Access to path /Videos/HD/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy.EN.2014/logo.png is denied. Will retry saving to /var/lib/emby/metadata/library/a4/a4ac3774a1f18354e11664f32ab42473/logo.pngI've edited fstab like this by adding the emby user and group and now everything works as desired. Question is: Is this method recommended?//192.168.42.88/Videos /Videos cifs vers=1.0,uid=emby,gid=emby,credentials=/home/ec-user/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
Edited by HrHauptfeld

mastrmind11

Good idea. I didn't even checked the logs once. But my guess was correct:

2018-05-11 13:03:24.224 Error ProviderManager: UnauthorizedAccessException - Access to path /Videos/HD/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy.EN.2014/logo.png is denied. Will retry saving to /var/lib/emby/metadata/library/a4/a4ac3774a1f18354e11664f32ab42473/logo.pngI've edited fstab like this by adding the emby user and group and now everything works as desired. Question is: Is this method recommended?//192.168.42.88/Videos /Videos cifs vers=1.0,uid=emby,gid=emby,credentials=/home/ec-user/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

It's fine if you don't plan to access those mounts w/ any other user.  I'm assuming your NAS grants access to all?  Or perhaps you have an emby user created on the NAS?

If you have multiple users on the server, which I assume you do, the proper way to do this is to create a group and place the users you want to have access to the mounts in that group, then grant that group access to the mount(s).  eg, a group called "media" can have users "emby" and "sonarr.  Grant r+w to "media" and then both users can read and write to the mount(s).  That way you can restrict who gets access to what by using the group for specific mounts, and you can then also set the user flag to yourself so you always have access regardless of whether you belong to the group.  So in your case it'd be your_user:media.  You'd then have to make sure your NAS knows about the users/groups you create for this purpose.

However, if you don't want to get into creating the group and chowning all of your folders, the hackish way to do it is to just add emby to whichever group had r+w to the mount(s) previously.  

Edited by mastrmind11

HrHauptfeld

It's fine if you don't plan to access those mounts w/ any other user.  I'm assuming your NAS grants access to all?  Or perhaps you have an emby user created on the NAS?

If you have multiple users on the server, which I assume you do, the proper way to do this is to create a group and place the users you want to have access to the mounts in that group, then grant that group access to the mount(s).  eg, a group called "media" can have users "emby" and "sonarr.  Grant r+w to "media" and then both users can read and write to the mount(s).  That way you can restrict who gets access to what by using the group for specific mounts, and you can then also set the user flag to yourself so you always have access regardless of whether you belong to the group.  So in your case it'd be your_user:media.  You'd then have to make sure your NAS knows about the users/groups you create for this purpose.

However, if you don't want to get into creating the group and chowning all of your folders, the hackish way to do it is to just add emby to whichever group had r+w to the mount(s) previously.  

On the ubuntu server that is running emby, theres only one user which I use for administration. There are no other users on the server itself. On emby I've created two different users. 1 Admin and 1 normal user for actual viewing.

The share is mounted with another user that I created on the NAS just for this purpose. I'd never grant any access to one of my shares without any legimitation :)