Roku TV vs Roku Box

Erik

Erik

Hi,

I currently have 2 Roku Ultra's attached to TVs. Want to add a new TV for a treadmill and while looking i saw a Roku TV that fit the location, however, i have no experience Roku being built in.

If someone has one, how does the built in Roku TV compare to an additional box? is it like an Ultra in the TV or just a basic streaming stick in regards to performance and any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Erik

Jdiesel

It doesn't list spec on the Roku TV hardware in this wiki and it is possible that it varies between models of TV. If I had to guess though I would say it is closer to a streaming stick than an Ultra. Need to cut cost where ever possible on things like TVs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Erik

Ya, i couldn't find any specs and even Roku's website is vague. I'm thinking, just get a TV and Roku separately so at least i know what I'm getting.

Thanks.

Waldonnis

I picked up a TCL 55" not long ago as a bedroom television and have been pretty happy with it (last year's model, not the newest ones).  The biggest gripe I have is that the remote is a bit of a pain if you use the built-in tuner with an OTA antenna or have cable without a STB, since it doesn't have numbers on it to go to channels directly.  Instead, you have to set up channel favourites...just picture using your Roku remote as a television remote (it does have a mute button, at least).  Thankfully, I do have STBs here (condo, so we have a bulk cable contract) and it's not a big problem for me for now, but given the reliability of our cable, I was hoping to add an antenna to the mix eventually.

Another downside is audio.  Since the television only has ARC and optical audio outputs, you're limited as to what you can pass through due to bandwidth limitations. It's not a huge problem for me since Roku doesn't support TrueHD/DTS-MA audio anyway, but it's a downside if you use internal apps a lot (to be fair, streaming services use EAC3 anyway, so it doesn't matter outside of Emby/Plex/local streaming of those lossless codecs).  It does decode AC3/EAC3 natively, though, so there's that.  If I really want passthrough of TrueHD/DTS-MA, I would probably pick up a Shield instead since no Roku really supports that.

Other than that stuff, it's been quite nice performance-wise.  I've had no issues with UHD playback or handshaking, and even using it as a computer monitor has been a good experience.  I previously had a 1080p set with a Roku 3 and this television's interface is clearly faster.  Codec support is pretty much the same as a standalone 4k Roku except this set supports Dolby Vision as well and can decode AC3/EAC3 natively.  Oh, one other oddity - some of the more advanced settings can only be accessed via the mobile app (things like gamma, notably).  It's nice to have it separate like that when calibrating, but if you want to tweak the white point a bit, it's a bit strange to have to go for the phone/tablet.  The major stuff other than gamma is easily adjustable via the television menus, though, and you don't often modify the other settings outside of calibration in my experience so it's not really a downside...just different.

• Like 1

Codec support is pretty much the same as a standalone 4k Roku except this set supports Dolby Vision as well and can decode AC3/EAC3 natively.

You forgot one of the bigger reasons to get a rokuTV vs rokuSTB.

RokuTV can have direct play back of mpeg-ts mpeg2/mpeg1 streams because the TV manufacturer covers these costs. OTA TV requires them.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=114433 - the licensing requirement via patent is no longer enforceable either, rokuSTB may get these eventually.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Waldonnis

You forgot one of the bigger reasons to get a rokuTV vs rokuSTB.

RokuTV can have direct play back of mpeg-ts mpeg2/mpeg1 streams because the TV manufacturer covers these costs. OTA TV requires them.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=114433 - the licensing requirement via patent is no longer enforceable either, rokuSTB may get these eventually.

Ah, yeah, forgot about that.  This thing supposedly has some built-in DVR functionality too if you use the OTA input and hook up some storage to the USB, but I haven't tried it nor heard of anyone using it.

Ah, yeah, forgot about that.  This thing supposedly has some built-in DVR functionality too if you use the OTA input and hook up some storage to the USB, but I haven't tried it nor heard of anyone using it.

https://support.roku.com/article/115005649508-how-to-pause-live-television-on-your-roku-tv-

It is a pause/rewind buffer for liveTV that allows catch-up. To get DVR, well, emby does that... lol

• Like 1

Erik

Thanks everyone. No way i would have found out those kind of details elsewhere!