Continue watching / Next up

arrbee99

arrbee99

Ah-hah. So there is a flaw in your cunning plan.

Interesting, but think I'll stick with plan A  :)

Happy2Play

Ah-hah. So there is a flaw in your cunning plan.

Interesting, but think I'll stick with plan A  :)

Well Next Up does not apply to re-watching something so it can go, and leave Continue Watching as it is global.

arrbee99

Well Next Up does not apply to re-watching something so it can go, and leave Continue Watching as it is global.

Wot, me got rid of Next Up ? Nah, I like both (but would prefer it combined into one, probably, never having seen it), just don't like how, to me, things show up in both when they shouldn't, even if the way its implemented at the moment means they should.

Happy2Play

There is no way you can combine Continue Watching with Next Up since it applies to other media types.

AdrianW

There is no way you can combine Continue Watching with Next Up since it applies to other media types.

In certain places they could be combined - like ET's horizontal home screen which only shows one library at a time (all TV or all Movies).

It could be figured out. It would just all be one continue watching feature. There are two really awkward drawbacks of separating them:

• Often seeing the same resumable episode in both lists
  • And worse, resuming an episode from Continue Watching and not being able to get to the next episode from there. The title of the section says Continue Watching, so it's natural that you'd want to go there to continue the series, but you can't always do that.
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

From a TV Library perspective sure, but Continue Watching has a different meaning when it comes to Movies.  So is it not easier to give it a different name?

arrbee99

It could be figured out. It would just all be one continue watching feature. There are two really awkward drawbacks of separating them:

• Often seeing the same resumable episode in both lists
  • And worse, resuming an episode from Continue Watching and not being able to get to the next episode from there. The title of the section says Continue Watching, so it's natural that you'd want to go there to continue the series, but you can't always do that.

C'mon mate, give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9JH4CeSlo

(Just replace Retaining Wall with...)

Edited by arrbee99

Gilgamesh_48

Maybe limit "Continue Watching" to Movies and "Next up" to TV shows?

The disadvantage that I see there is that there are people that brows their TV libraries for some show to watch and watch it from there regardless of if they have watched earlier episodes or not. Some of those people would never use or want to see "Next up." They would, however, need and use "Continue watching" for TV. I know some people that watch TV shows just like that.

Personally I do not need "Continue watching" at all but I do use "Next up" as my primary way of watching TV shows.

BTW: I wish there was a way to add a TV show to "Next up" without playing an episode. I have requested that feature before and was answered that it was not the way it was intended to work but I just thought I would mention it again. It is just a bit inconvenient to decide you want to watch a show on say your Roku that you have browsed to in the web interface and then have to browse to it again on the Roku.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Spaceboy

There are far more important things to be given attention than this in my opinion. It’s a complete non issue

• Like 2

BTW: I wish there was a way to add a TV show to "Next up" without playing an episode. I have requested that feature before and was answered that it was not the way it was intended to work but I just thought I would mention it again. It is just a bit inconvenient to decide you want to watch a show on say your Roku that you have browsed to in the web interface and then have to browse to it again on the Roku.

I believe that starting the first episode - even for just a couple seconds, will cause that series to then show in Next Up...

Gilgamesh_48

I believe that starting the first episode - even for just a couple seconds, will cause that series to then show in Next Up...

My testing shows that playing a bit of S01E01 of a series causes that episode to appear in "Continue watching" and it sometimes shows up in "Next up." However if it does show in "Next up" it, after a shot time, disappears from "Next up." That is the trick of playing a bit of the first episode of a series to put it in "Next up" does not work.

Thanks for the suggestion however it just does not work. BTW: I do not really think it is particularly important anymore as I can place the first episode in "Continue watching" and resume it from there and, since "Continue watching" is able to be placed on home screen below "Next up" it is almost as convenient having it in "Next up." It is not "best" for me but it does work.

Thanks.

after a shot time, disappears from "Next up." 

It doesn't "disappear" - it simply ends up further down the list because Next Up is sorted by last played.  Potentially, I guess, until it actually does fall off the end if you have a lot of series in play.

That is actually one of the potential issues with combining the two lists. You end up with more items in one list and some of them are going to get pushed way to the end making people not realize they are even there :).

Gilgamesh_48

It doesn't "disappear" - it simply ends up further down the list because Next Up is sorted by last played.  Potentially, I guess, until it actually does fall off the end if you have a lot of series in play.

That is actually one of the potential issues with combining the two lists. You end up with more items in one list and some of them are going to get pushed way to the end making people not realize they are even there :).

That is not true. It shows up at the very first spot, when it does show up, and then I can play one other episode from another series from "Next up" and the first episode, which should now be second in the list as only one other episode will have been played, but it will be gone from "Next up." That is it does not show if you scroll through the entire list.

Also if it does show in that first spot I and I do not play anything at all, like I go and fix a meal or go to bed, when I next access Emby the episode will not be in "Next up."

Again it is no longer particularly important but it does not work as you said it does.