Continue watching / Next up

arrbee99

arrbee99

Am just sitting here wondering, as I apparently have nothing better to do -

Continue Watching seems to be for listing stuff that you're in the middle of watching and Next Up seems to show the next item in a series - should they be separate lists or would they be better combined ? I do seem to spend (a bit of) time looking for Episode 6 in Next Up forgetting I didn't actually get to the end of Episode 5, or of course, looking for Episode 12 in Continue Watching forgetting that I actually did get to the end of that one and should be looking for Episode 13 in Next Up.

So any thoughts ?

Also. while I'm here, why does some stuff show in both...

5af2140f4e89f_EmbycombineContinueWatchin

5af2142443584_EmbycombineNextUp.jpg

We've talked about the idea of combining them, it's just a hard to introduce a change like that without upsetting a lot of people. But if we were just starting out now, I think they'd be combined.

mastrmind11

We've talked about the idea of combining them, it's just a hard to introduce a change like that without upsetting a lot of people. But if we were just starting out now, I think they'd be combined.

How about a checkbox in the home screen layout section "combine continue watching + next up", off by default.

• Like 1

No, this will have a large impact on the design of the system. We have to just pick one. Doing it two different is just going to result in two things that don't really work right, instead of just one that works really well.

arrbee99

Not really sure if I'm for or against it myself, though tending towards combined. Should be easy to pick out which is which just by the progress bar (present or not) though. Would probably need the extended list (whats under the < and > arrows or what you get when you click on Next Up) to be longer.

Not sure if its worth the effort - thought it might prompt a bit of a discussion though.

BTW is there a reason why Continue Watching isn't clickable but Next Up is ?

maximumentropy

FWIW, I prefer to keep them separate, rather than trying to mash together two things which really aren't the same.

I'd also really like for Continue Watching to be clickable as suggested by @arrbee99, as the limited display of just a few items on the home screen is very cramped.

Thanks!

• 9 months later...
arrbee99

Just to revive portions of this - 

Continue Watching consists entirely of in progress items, therefore shouldn't Next Up consist entirely of 'the next item in the series you're watching' items (it has in progress items in there as well) ?

Continue Watching is still the only item that isn't clickable.

Gilgamesh_48

I never ever use continue watching for anything. For me it is totally unneeded.

That is why I have it turned off on the main screen of all my Rokus. I watch TV shows 95% of the time from next up. The only time I watch TV from elsewhere is if I want to start a series or restart one I watch a long time ago.

For movies I simply browse the library and go to the movie I want to watch.

My needs are simple but the way I watch my media is probably very different from other's and that is why I like the current way we can turn so much of Emby on and off.

BTW: Next up should, and does, also have episodes that are partially watched but are part of shows that are currently in the "watch" rotation.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

arrbee99

Just in general FYI. The other half was looking for something she was watching in Continue Watching, but it wasn't there as she was in between episodes. She didn't think to look in Next Up so headed off to TV to find it. I've put Next Up immediately below Continue Watching to make it a bit easier, so hopefully that'll help.

• 4 months later...

Continue Watching consists entirely of in progress items, therefore shouldn't Next Up consist entirely of 'the next item in the series you're watching' items (it has in progress items in there as well) ?

I don't agree with that.  An episode you just partially watched IS the next up in any particular series.  You certainly wouldn't want to show the episode after it there and it doesn't make sense to not show anything for that series there (what if someone has disabled "Continue Watching"?).

• Like 2

arrbee99

I would have thought by definition a partially watched episode is something that you would Continue Watching. No you wouldn't want to show the episode after that anywhere, so not in Continue Watching or in Next Up.

Admittedly I don't see why Continue Watching would be disabled at all, unless you always completely finish the episode you're watching, in which case Continue Watching would be empty (thought not disabled) and the next episode shows up in Next Up.

To me, non of this would matter if they were combined.

(Am sure there's something obvious I'm not getting, but that's not unusual)

Happy2Play

Then you can remove "Continue Watching" and achieve what you want, correct?

Personally I hide both and just use Latest.

arrbee99

Then you can remove "Continue Watching" and achieve what you want, correct?

Personally I hide both and just use Latest.

Don't think so. Removing Continue Watching just removes Continue Watching, it doesn't move what was there into Next Up.

Happy2Play

Don't think so. Removing Continue Watching just removes Continue Watching, it doesn't move what was there into Next Up.

Is that not what the images in the first post show?  The only difference should be Continue Watching is not limited to TV like Next Up.

arrbee99

Well if it is I don't know if its deliberate and I just find it confusing having the same stuff in two rows, bearing in mind the image is over a year old, though it does still happen. Don't see any reason why there should be duplicates like that at all.

Don't see any reason why there should be duplicates like that at all.

The reason is you have two different sets of criteria that you're looking at and, in some situations, the same item will meet both criteria.

Criteria one is anything that can be resumed (is partially watched).

Criteria two is the next episode I should start in any series that I have started watching.

A partially watched TV episode meets both of those criteria so it shows in both "views".

It is exactly the same as if you had an unwatched and a favorite view.  Any item that was both unwatched and a favorite would show in both of those views.

Does that make sense?

Now an argument can definitely be made for combining the two views.  However, we've had it designed this way for so long that I fear that would cause much more disruption than bring value at this point.

arrbee99

Well I kind of get most of it, but not that sure about criteria two, which does say next episode. I'm probably mixing up Cont Watching / Next Up with criteria 1 and 2 somehow.

But still don;t get, at the moment, how I can have a partially watched S01E10 What We Do In The Shadows in Cont Watching and exactly the same in Next Up. I don't get how anything in progress can count as / appear in Next Up.

(I get that combining is a reasonable idea but is pretty unlikely to actually happen).

Happy2Play

Well you have to look at as each section has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  Just because something is partially watched means nothing as it is still the Next Up episode until it reaches the set Max Resume percentage.

arrbee99

I guess I just can't look at them in isolation and to me its a terminology thing as well. To me something just cannot be Continue Watching (you're in the middle of watching it, its in progress) and Next Up (you're not watching it /  you haven't watched it yet).

My previous example is 15 minutes into a 21 minute program, just don't see how it should get into Next Up.

If it fits the criteria, the criteria is wrong (said he modestly).

Happy2Play

I guess I just can't look at them in isolation and to me its a terminology thing as well. To me something just cannot be Continue Watching (you're in the middle of watching it, its in progress) and Next Up (you're not watching it /  you haven't watched it yet).

My previous example is 15 minutes into a 21 minute program, just don't see how it should get into Next Up.

If it fits the criteria, the criteria is wrong (said he modestly).

But back to someone like me that hides Continue Watching as it is clutter to me.  And technically Next Up is covered in Latest TV as it show me Series and total unwatched episode.  So my Home Screen does not contain Continue Watching or Next Up.

arrbee99

People really do like different things  :)

But still, how do you find that half watched episode of The Doodahs you were watching the day before the day before yesterday ?

• Like 2

Happy2Play

People really do like different things  :)

But still, how do you find that half watched episode of The Doodahs you were watching the day before the day before yesterday ?

Well Latest TV still shows the Series with a unwatched count So I would know exactly where to go.  But the only time that would not work is when re-watching watched items.