WD Green 3TB at Amazon US

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

These drives are currently on sale for roughly $108.00 with free super saver shipping. This equates to about 3.6 cents per Gigabyte of storage.

http://smile.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395781931&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+green

If you're looking for some inexpensive storage than this might help you out. I don't know how long the price will stay this way.

Edited by Wayne Luke

buddyweiser

I've been waiting for the red's to drop from 134.95 but the lowest they've gotten is 129. They're back up to reg price but if they drop again I'll probably pick a couple up. Its still a decent deal with free shipping and no tax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JeremyFr79

I won't touch a green drive ever, they burn out way to quickly and have lousy performance, it's always worth it to spend the little extra and get a non gimped HDD if you ask me.

techywarrior

Green are their "eco" drives. Basically 5400 rpm low cache drives. I find them good for storage since you don't need great performance. If yours burnt out quickly it was probably bad luck.

Koleckai Silvestri

You can set the idle period to higher using the firmware tools provided Western Digital. They would burn out with a low idle period and frequent accesses with small pauses. Most people say a 5 minute idle is good.

Sharing for people on a budget though.

I've been waiting for the red's to drop from 134.95 but the lowest they've gotten is 129. They're back up to reg price but if they drop again I'll probably pick a couple up. Its still a decent deal with free shipping and no tax.

Recently Newegg had Reds for about $118 earlier this month using a 10% promo code.

Edited by Wayne Luke

shaefurr

I have 5 green drives going on around 3 years now of running 24/7 and ive never had any issues. I admit their a bit slow, but they work well for media.

• Like 2

JeremyFr79

all my storage drives are part of large raid arrays so green drives wouldn't work either way for me, I've had some previous consumer electronics gear that the drives died after a year opened them up and low and behold green drives.

buddyweiser

Recently Newegg had Reds for about $118 earlier this month using a 10% promo code.

I missed that one :( I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

pmac

I'm running 5 Green Drives right now, I was running 6 but I just had my oldest one die on me recently after around 5 years of near-24/7 usage. The remaining drives range from 2 that are 4 years old, 1 is 3 years old, and the other 2 are 2 years old. I'm looking at obtaining some new drives, and I was looking at Red's but from the positive experience I've had with my Green drives, I (so far) can't justify the price jump.

Just my 2 cents ;)

JeremyFr79

I'm running 5 Green Drives right now, I was running 6 but I just had my oldest one die on me recently after around 5 years of near-24/7 usage. The remaining drives range from 2 that are 4 years old, 1 is 3 years old, and the other 2 are 2 years old. I'm looking at obtaining some new drives, and I was looking at Red's but from the positive experience I've had with my Green drives, I (so far) can't justify the price jump.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Higher MTBF and Longer warranties always make it worth the extra just my $.02

buddyweiser

In related news, I saw that the price for 3tb red's dropped to 129.99 in Amazon. Free shipping with prime is so close to greens to justify still going green in my opinion :)

• 4 years later...