Question about subtitles

jhoff80

jhoff80

So it looks like the Android TV app doesn't have any built-in subtitle settings.  I've got a user who is set to only display forced subtitles on the server, and yet files that have embedded subtitles that are not flagged as forced are still enabling subtitles on playback of the video.  Is this supposed to be using the server user settings for subtitles?  Or am I missing something here?

It should apply to the app. Can we please look at the specifics of an example? thanks !

jhoff80

You know what, I can't get this one to reproduce after turning off subtitles on the episode that was playing, and also going back to the server settings, choosing a different setting, and then switching it back to only forced.  I'm not sure which of those two things fixed it, but it does seem to be listening to the setting now.  Weird.  Sorry about that.

You know what, I can't get this one to reproduce after turning off subtitles on the episode that was playing, and also going back to the server settings, choosing a different setting, and then switching it back to only forced.  I'm not sure which of those two things fixed it, but it does seem to be listening to the setting now.  Weird.  Sorry about that.

I don't think anything was broken.

The settings for subtitles are defaults.  That is they will be used in the case where no other option is selected.  However, if an item is played once and a subtitle is selected during that playback, the next time that same user plays that item (from any app) the same subtitles (and audio for that matter) will also be selected.

I'm pretty sure that is what happened here - the user turned them on manually at some point.