Transcoding Speed Question

Erik

Erik

Hello,

I have LiveTV (not recorded shows) buffering alot on my parents house (They have their own emby server and using phones/roku stick/samsung TV for client devices). I looked at the ffmpeg log and noticed the speed=1.03x then down to 01x (Log attached) and so i assumed the server is not keeping up with the transcode/remux requirements...but i compared to my setup. I have an i7 setup and my logs show 1.08x with liveTV.

so...

1) Will the LiveTV always show near 1x as its sending it out just as fast as its received? or does that indicate the server cannot process the stream fast enough? as I'm trying to find the problem for the buffering

2) For local media, does the current emby server throttle the CPU (use to be an option) or does it just process entire files to the end as fast as the CPU can do it?

3) Is there a ballpark speed that we can look for in the log that shows the server is fast enough (1x / 2x / 3x / ...)

.........as an example i get 5x on iphone transcode of local media / 8x on a roku remux / 386x on a chrome browser remux (lots of range!)

Thanks,

Erik

ffmpeg-remux-c099dade-b0e3-4990-b938-3c806adf7809.txt

PenkethBoy

1. livetv - encode is going to be near realtime because thats how it broadcast - i have a i7 4790s - that could transcode livetv (server 3.3.1) at 5% cpu per show being recorded/transcoded - i have 6 tuners so it was circa 30%.

2. usually as fast as possible with playback of a video - however the new convert feature (server 3.4.0) - you control the number of cpu cores it uses - but only does one transcode at a time

3) nope - as its down to the media codec video and to a lesser extent audio - and what you are transcoding to

a better way is to compare is the cpu passmark score (google it) - my i7 4790s is 9560 which is only a fourth generation i7 - so old - and it can handle 3-4 transcodes at the same time

anything over say 6-7000 passmark should be good for a few years

the 8700k has a passmark of 16000 - which is not needed unless you have a large number of clients

Erik

Thanks!

Regarding 3) it's funny because each sample log i look at the video is copy during the remix and it's only the audio that is changed DTS->AC3 or MP3 it seems but the speed jumps all over.

I'm not having a problem so no big deal. Just trying to understand how it's working.

Thanks again.