3.4 clarifcation please

GhostRider

GhostRider

Can you help clarify what all the new updates do please:

1) Collections library, Does the update migrate existing collections meta data and art files across to the new method? I do not use the collections plug-in and prefer to create new collections manually. As such keen to understand what happens when you upgrade to 3.4: does it migrate the art files or create them a new using the collection plugin?

2) Convert media. Is this set to off by default? I would not have the disk space for such a conversion to run automatically when I upgrade to 3.4

3) Convert media, I am not clear what the conversion does. E.g. for video does it just convert to mp4 container format if the video and audio codecs are fully compatible or does it convert say the audio stream into one that is compatible with mp4?

4) Future of MKV container support. Is this the begining of the end for supporting MKV format in Emby?

5) Is the codec intro problem with identfying the correct DTS audio codec fixed in this release?

Edited by GhostRider

4) Future of MKV container support. Is this the begining of the end for supporting MKV format in Emby?

Why would you possibly think that?

) Convert media. Is this set to off by default? I would not have the disk space for such a conversion to run automatically when I upgrade to 3.4

Yes it's off by default, and as for how it works, you just click convert and choose the options you want.

Collections library, Does the update migrate existing collections meta data and art files across to the new method? 

To what new method? There isn't any new collections method? 

GhostRider

To what new method? There isn't any new collections method? 

I am refering to this part of the annoucement: The Collections folder has become a regular Emby library.

What happens to the current Collections folder? Does it move to a new location? Is the existing art work copied across? The reason I ask is I have to backup the current Collections folder as it is not part of the media server backup plugin. If it moving location I will need to update my backup script.

GhostRider

Why would you possibly think that?

The conversion process, Don't see why this is needed if MKV is supported. Converting and keeping the original just uses twice as much disk space. Dropping MKV as the format for recordings. Put togther sounds like MKV is being sidelined.

GhostRider

Thanks @@Luke for the confirmation on MKV suppport, can you confirm what happens to the current Collections folder? Does it move to a new location? Is the existing art work copied across? The reason I ask is I backup the current Collections folder as it is not part of the media server backup plugin. If it moving location I will need to update my backup script.

Also does the Cinema Mode move to a plugin also include a fix the Codec Intro problem I posted here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56548-codec-intros-questions/

Edited by GhostRider

Collections aren't moving. With collections there's really nothing you need to worry about other than what was mentioned in the blog announcement:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

As far as cinema mode, I'm not sure I tested that specifically but it may have been affected by other changes.

Robert X. Gonzalez

The conversion process in 3.4 is interesting, especially in auto, but had to throttle back, literally remove it as it hogged my CPU.  Also, it is not removing the .ts files, find that it is retaining along with the new .mp4 file.  I found the auto setting, but nothing to remove the .ts files which typically are at least twice the size or more over .mp4 or .mkv files.  Also, before I could see duplicates and know I recorded a program twice in error, but now even with a .mp4 and .ts file, it only show up once say in movies.  I am afraid to delete media as it will delete both so doing it manually.

There are settings in the server dashboard under download & sync that will let you control how many threads the conversion process will use, as well as how fast it will go. We'll make it more obvious that it also applies to the convert feature.