Intel Quick Sync

revengineer

revengineer

I am new to hardware encoding and need some help. I have a 2nd generation i3-2100T sandy bridge processor, which is supposed to support Intel Quick Sync. However, when I try to use hardware encoding to .mp4 format for a TV show, I get the error:

[h264_qsv @ 00000066a2c4a220] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 00000066a2c4a220] Error initializing the encoder: invalid video parameters (-15)

I am using the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 8 64 bit on a Windows 2012 64-bit server. This is an older processor and the driver version 15.28.24.64.4229 is from 2015.

The options I see are that either the version of quick sync supported by the processor is too old to support emby or that I am missing something in the install. So if someone has an idea or tutorial to get quick sync to work, I am all ear.

Thank you in advance!

Try turning off quicksync decoding and just using the encoding.

revengineer

@Luke: Using Quick Sync only for encoding does not change anything. I get the same error message.

@Fratopolis: I have verified that my CPU supports Quick Sync. The question is whether I have to install software to make it work. E.g., do I need to install DirectX or Windows Media Foundation (WMF)?

Guest asrequested

Transcoding is all down to ffmpeg. You don't need to install anything else. Post the transcode log.

Guest asrequested

Try again with decoding disabled, and post that log. It's not able to decode, so there's nothing to encode.

[h264_qsv @ 000000bdcc8aa8a0] No device available for decoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (h264_qsv) -> h264 (h264_qsv))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[h264_qsv @ 000000bdcc4bab40] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 000000bdcc4bab40] Error initializing the encoder: invalid video parameters (-15)
Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Conversion failed!

revengineer

Try again with decoding disabled, and post that log. It's not able to decode, so there's nothing to encode.

[h264_qsv @ 000000bdcc8aa8a0] No device available for decoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (h264_qsv) -> h264 (h264_qsv))
[h264_qsv @ 000000bdcc4bab40] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 000000bdcc4bab40] Error initializing the encoder: invalid video parameters (-15)
Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Conversion failed!

The new log is attached here. Thank you for taking a look!

Log.txt

Guest asrequested

So you have the same outcome. I have a feeling it may be a combination of it being old, and ffmpeg. I'm not sure there's much you can do, other than experiment with other ffmpeg builds

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (h264_qsv))
[h264_qsv @ 0000008899a602e0] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 0000008899a602e0] Error initializing the encoder: invalid video parameters (-15)
Conversion failed!

PenkethBoy

i setup qsv on my 2012r2 server at the end of last year

i have a i7 4790s which has intel HD Graphics 4600

the drivers i am using are from march 2014 v10.18.10.3540 - dont think these were win8 drivers and they should be win 8.1 as a minimum for 2012r2

with older versions of windows you need a monitor connected to the HDMI/Display port on the server as i do (even though its turned off) - or you need to trick the system into seeing a "ghost" monitor - google it there are lots of posts on how to do that

once i connected a monitor and had the drivers loaded - qsv works with ffmpeg and Handbrake - without these you are not going to get very far

and to be honest your cpu is i think the first generation of qsv enabled cpu's so performance wont set your pants on fire

revengineer

So you have the same outcome. I have a feeling it may be a combination of it being old, and ffmpeg. I'm not sure there's much you can do, other than experiment with other ffmpeg builds

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (h264_qsv))
[h264_qsv @ 0000008899a602e0] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 0000008899a602e0] Error initializing the encoder: invalid video parameters (-15)
Conversion failed!

Correct, the errors are essentially the same. I may try another build of ffmpeg but I am not too hopeful. I may be out of luck and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything significant. Thanks again for the help.

Guest asrequested

with older versions of windows you need a monitor connected to the HDMI/Display port on the server as i do (even though its turned off) - or you need to trick the system into seeing a "ghost" monitor - google it there are lots of posts on how to do that

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about that

revengineer

i setup qsv on my 2012r2 server at the end of last year

i have a i7 4790s which has intel HD Graphics 4600

the drivers i am using are from march 2014 v10.18.10.3540 - dont think these were win8 drivers and they should be win 8.1 as a minimum for 2012r2

once i connected a monitor and had the drivers loaded - qsv works with ffmpeg and Handbrake - without these you are not going to get very far

and to be honest your cpu is i think the first generation of qsv enabled cpu's so performance wont set your pants on fire

Thank you for your input. It looks like you are working with a more recent chip, mine is Intel HD Graphics 2000 running v9.x drivers. The latest Intel HD Graphics driver is installed.

Although the server is typically running headless, I have a monitor connected. I turned in on to see if this makes a difference but it does not.

I think I am out of luck here but at least I tried. I was not expecting miracles on my CPU, which is purposely under-powered to save electricity. But I thought turning it on would give some benefit.

PenkethBoy

did you read what i said about the driver - you said in your original post your were running v15 - you are running some much newer ones for win8 - i would suggest thats the problem

yes my chip is newer but the same things apply your graphics is just 2 generations older

Edited by PenkethBoy

revengineer

did you read what i said about the driver - you said in your original post your were running v15 - you are running some much newer ones for win8 - i would suggest thats the problem

yes my chip is newer but the same things apply your graphics is just 2 generations older

There is a discrepancy between version numbers listed on the Intel website. The website for the driver I am using reads: "This driver package contains the Intel® HD Graphics Driver version 15.28.24.64.4229 (9.17.10.4229) for Windows* 7 and Windows 8." The latter version number is listed in the device manager for the display adapter. The release date is 6/5/15. I am pretty certain that this is the correct driver. Windows 2012 (not R2) runs Windows 8.0 drivers. There are no specific drivers for Windows Server.

The link to the driver is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24971/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=81502

Edited by revengineer

PenkethBoy

lol - so Intel are making it difficult then as my drivers are older but are ver 10

the version 10 number is what the display adapter and installed software show on my machine

Fratopolis

This might shed some light. Not sure if this is related or if I am not reading this right but it says something about being deprecaed on anything older than haswell. Not sure if this is even relevant maybe luke would know. I know it says its for the SDK on linux but maybe any platform. I have never had good luck with QSV on anything ivy bridge or earlier.

https://gist.github.com/Brainiarc7/dd9e9b62bddb53b771b3a0754e352f53

"Note: This version of the SDK was the last to support Ivy Bridge (Intel 3rd Generation) processors, newer SDKs (such as the 2017 version) deprecated support for this architecture and focus mainly on the 4th (Haswell), 5th (Broadwell) and the 6th (Skylake) architectures and beyond. If you're coming from Ivybridge, please stick with this release.

Take note that processors earlier than Ivy Bridge (Such as Sandy Bridge, Intel's 2nd Generation Processors, Arrandale, the 1st Generation Core and the Clarksfield Mobile Core i7s) are not supported by any SDK version."

Edited by Fratopolis

PenkethBoy

Thanks - thats useful info

Looks like i'm lucky with Haswell and RevEngineer is unlucky with Sandy Bridge

revengineer

Thank you for the additional info. This is consistent with my google searches here and elsewhere that Sandy Bridge is not compatible with the emby quick sync encoding and decoding.