Emby server 3.4 VERY slow load times for dashboard via web server and Fire TV

psybertech

psybertech

After upgrading from 3.3.1 to 3.4, it takes up to a minute for the web ui dashboard or Fire TV dashboard to load.

And 75++% of the time after the dashboard finally loads, the Next Up section doesn't load at all and on the Fire TV app, I do see some weird "volley" errors?.

I have rolled back to 3.3 and now face other issues. That introduced a few non-critical issues like my plugins page in the admin section won't even load ("My Plugins" only, the "Catalog" will load) and the statistics and reports links don't even appear in the admin menu anymore now. I can't uninstall them since the My Plugins area won't load, but I have tried to change the versions of them and had no change to the end result.

Anyway...

After initially installing 3.4, it did complete a bunch of library scans (runs every 45 minutes), so everything should have been completely updated.

It was about 18 hours or so after I updated until I finally said enough is enough and reverted.

Everything works for me after rolling back to 3.3.1, aside from the extra goodies in the the stats and reports plugins, but I am happy that playback is fine on my FireTV so I can live with it as is for now.

I don't have any logs from my 3.4 experiences to share, but I am willing to try again to simply gather and then share the logs.

That said, for now, I am just curious if anyone else has experienced extremely long load times and failed Next Up items when simply trying to view content in the web ui or Fire TV app.

Thanks

J

Edited by psybertech

psybertech

I figured as much. I was just hoping that others experience it and I just missed the posts and perhaps some data was collected already.  :ph34r:

I'll re-update tomorrow and get a clean log.

I do want this update! :) Lots of coll stuff in there! 

psybertech

OK,

I've updated again and see that the library scans are taking about 20-30 minutes now, where before they were between 3 and 5.

During the scan, I have the issue that is takes a long time to load the interface (both web and FireTV) and Next Up may or may not loading at all.

On the FireTV, sometimes I get a volley error and an error complaining about not being able to connect to the server.

On the web ui, it sometimes just sits there with the spinner running. This can sit for minutes and work eventually or not until the library scan finally completes and reloading the web page.

Restarting after a scan is the only way I can use 3.4..0 right now.

During all this, if I am playing something on my FireTV, it plays fine.

After a few scans, the problem still existed so I restarted emby and all seemed fine until the next scan started.

Reading a few different threads, I moved my collections library folder from its local default to my main network share where all my content is stored. No difference.

I then noticed in the logs when I had debug logging enabled, that the new plugin for playback reporting was active every second, so I just figured uninstall that, but no change.

Attached is a log straight from a restart of emby and straight to a library scan.

I don't see anything that jumps out at me.

Thanks

J

embyserver-63661211853.txt

Edited by psybertech

psybertech

Did you forget to attach the log?

Wasn't paying attention... yes I did forget... attached now. 

Edited by psybertech

Do a lot of them not have images? Or do a lot of them have dynamically generated images by the server?

psybertech

They all have collection images (i.e. Fanart like collection posters).

Can you enable debug logging, restart the server, and then capture a new log of a library scan? thanks.

psybertech

Here is one from earlier that I had debuggin on.

I forget everything I did during this one, but it ran at least one full library scan (around 12:45 start).

Is this normal?

2018-05-06 12:30:03.324 Info App: Application version: 3.4.0.0
2018-05-06 12:45:02.016 Info App: App Activity: app: My Library Scan, version: 3.3.1.0, deviceId: redacted, deviceName: redacted
2018-05-06 12:45:02.017 Info TaskManager: Executing Scan media library

embyserver-63661208952.txt

Can you try removing the autoboxset plugin and see if that has any impact? thanks.

psybertech

Updated back to 3.4 again, uninstalled the autoboxset plugin and here is a new debug log attached.

And no real change.

A little more observation...

The library scan time is still very high (20 minutes).

The first 60-70% happens fast, then it its and slowly rises around 70%. (for me, 69% or 72% seems to be where I notice the beginning of the issue of the slowdown of the scan and the UI responsiveness).

The UI seems fine until it hits around those numbers.

embyserver-63661225471.txt

Edited by psybertech

psybertech

Update...

Maybe I didn't give this enough time this go around.

I only ran one scan in the above log and everything seemed to behave the same.

However, I've run two more scans now and the speed of them is back to 4-5 minutes which is normal.

When first viewing collections and playlists, the system was as I was describing before, slow and non-responsive, but now that the collections and playlists are back and the latest library scans are normal, I think everything is OK???? Maybe a tad slower UI by a second or two, but that is fine.

I am hesitant to turn on the AutoBoxSet again and I am not 100% sure I need it at all any more since I have all the old content accounted for. I can just make new collections for any future content manually.

Here is the last log accounting for collections and playlists being re-built and should have 2 full, quick library scans now as well.

J

embyserver-63661229370.txt