ginjaninja

ginjaninja

roku 3.0.77

android 2.9.22

server 3.4.0.2

steps to reproduce

start music playlist on roku

choose 'play on roku' on android

play a track from android brings up add/replace dialigue on roku (right to ask checking question but ui should appear on android not roku when submitted from android)

play track as 'play next' from android has inconsistent results ..sometimes track is added without add/replace popup (as it should) but at end of queue (inconsistent with android which puts track immediately next in queue)..more often in my testing, the track is not added to queue on roku.

on roku, theres no easy way to save(update) the current playlist. indeed if you save playlist as same name with on screen keyboard, a new playlist is created with same name. maybe the client could remember playlists added into the queue and offer a list to update before an option to save new?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

play a track from android brings up add/replace dialigue on roku (right to ask checking question but ui should appear on android not roku when submitted from android)

Hi, I don't quite understand. Can you show a screenshot to demonstrate? Thanks.

play track as 'play next' from android has inconsistent results ..sometimes track is added without add/replace popup (as it should) but at end of queue (inconsistent with android which puts track immediately next in queue)..more often in my testing, the track is not added to queue on roku.

@@ebr can comment on this. I thought we had implemented PlayNext with Roku but don't recall for sure. Thanks.

ginjaninja
Hi, I don't quite understand. Can you show a screenshot to demonstrate? Thanks.

de84346bbfc5824e28e754c69cd7f966.jpg

if im using android to remote control roku, then its no use that this checking dialogue appears on roku when i play from android

Edited by ginjaninja

that function needs to know when the action is user invoked in-app vs user invoked across-app. Once the app knows this, it can dismiss with that dialog if its across-app and just add to queue as first item next to play and push the rest down.

ginjaninja

i think it would be good to recognise the best of what all the clients have for  good playlist and queue management for music and ensure the official clients behave the same and then ensure the remote control function works with that design.. (rather than fudge things resulting in different behaviour on different clients)

I think it is a good thing that the default play function  on roku does not overwrite queue without a warning..

I think specific play next (immediately next) and add to end of queue call out commands are useful  functions and that the default action is right to question "replace/add" because it is 50/50 as to what the user wants...apart from a few edge cases eg..when the current track has finished and there is only 1 track in the queue...default action should probably be add to end of queue and play.

If and when the queue management gets sophisticated enough to allow tracks to be moved up and down the queue then the default action of playing next without a warning might be more feasible, but even then i think it would get in the way of creating an intended playlist..

Please try this with 3.0.78.

We don't have the ability to have the app you're using for remote control to produce that question so we just need to assume you want to add to the queue when doing this remotely for now.

Thanks.

ginjaninja

Please try this with 3.0.78.

We don't have the ability to have the app you're using for remote control to produce that question so we just need to assume you want to add to the queue when doing this remotely for now.

Thanks.

on 3.0.79, only the 1st remote play submission evokes a response on roku...2nd and subsequent remote plays do not register and are ignored it seems...

on 3.0.79, only the 1st remote play submission evokes a response on roku...2nd and subsequent remote plays do not register and are ignored it seems...

Can you please describe that in more detail?  The items  you tried to play are not added to the end of the queue?

ginjaninja

Can you please describe that in more detail? The items you tried to play are not added to the end of the queue?

thats correct, no items added to queue..end or otherwise....save the first remote play..presumably when the queue is empty remote play works..but not when the queue is populated.

ginjaninja

Can you please reproduce that and then send a log from the app?

Thanks.

sent log 21:23 uk time from roku

no logs on android under android/data/com.mb.android?

playing album '3 bilboards outside ebbing missouri' then attempted to play 'supercollider' ('default play' and then 'play next' and then 'add to play queue'...no response)

Edited by ginjaninja

playing album '3 bilboards outside ebbing missouri' then attempted to play 'supercollider' ('default play' and then 'play next' and then 'add to play queue'...no response)

I did not receive a log from a Roku...  Did it tell you it sent?

Aren't we talking about Roku here...?

Are you basically saying that you had the roku player selected from android, clicked play, and nothing happened. is that right?

ginjaninja

Are you basically saying that you had the roku player selected from android, clicked play, and nothing happened. is that right?

yes...when using android you can choose to 'play to roku'...i am talking about the remote play functionality, android to roku...

will try to send another debug log from roku..

any idea why there is no log folder on my android?

remote play works when queue on roku is empty, but you cant remote play additional content thereafter.

Edited by ginjaninja

The remote control connection we are using with the roku app was designed for the old app and ported into the new one. It will timeout and disconnect on the Roku side and there's not much we can do about it. Additionally the Roku OS may forcefully disconnect it when the resources are needed elsewhere, like during video playback for example.

We need to rework remote control using their newer External Control API, which will be very nice once we do that because then it will work even when the app isn't running, which will make it much easier to start playing something that way.

So for now, what you're seeing when controlling from Android isn't really worth looking into because we already know why it's happening. But your feedback on the user interface aspects of remote control is still very useful. Thanks.

ginjaninja

The remote control connection we are using with the roku app was designed for the old app and ported into the new one. It will timeout and disconnect on the Roku side and there's not much we can do about it. Additionally the Roku OS may forcefully disconnect it when the resources are needed elsewhere, like during video playback for example.

We need to rework remote control using their newer External Control API, which will be very nice once we do that because then it will work even when the app isn't running, which will make it much easier to start playing something that way.

So for now, what you're seeing when controlling from Android isn't really worth looking into because we already know why it's happening. But your feedback on the user interface aspects of remote control is still very useful. Thanks.

no worries, thanks for confirming.