ET loses focus when using external player

Jdiesel

I have the same issue with PowerDVD on WIN 10. After playback is complete and I exit PDVD, Emby is showing full screen but does not have focus.

I mapped Alt-tab on one of the keys of my remote, to put it back in focus.

MrKazador

I personally tested this last week and it worked perfectly. I am not denying that you're having a problem, but I think there's more factors at play that we're not realizing yet.

Are you using Windows 10?

MrKazador

Here are the things I've tried so far, if anyone has some ideas on what I could try that would be great.

Tried 32/64bit MPC-HC installs including older builds.

Tried 32/64bit MPC-BE.

Reinstall Emby Theater and clearing all data/cache.

Run Emby Theater in compatibility mode.

Run Emby Theater windowed.

Disable anti virus and other unneeded programs.

MrKazador

I figured out a way to get it to work which is kind of annoying. Once you exit MPC HC it takes about a half a second to regain focus and the keyboard works again. 

Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse

5bbc763d60224_workaround.png

• 2 weeks later...
MrKazador

Don't know if this helps at all but I made a video showing the issue. It works once but loses focus and the emby icon on the taskbar starts to flash. I'm only using the keyboard keys to navigate and close mpc-hc, the only time I use the mouse is to focus on emby theater again. I have it windowed so its easier to see the issue.

When Emby is fullscreen and I exit mpc-hc, it focuses on the desktop even though Emby is fullscreen.

Edited by MrKazador

• 2 weeks later...
Jdiesel

Any progress on this? I watched 3 movies over the weekend and had to bring out the mouse and keyboard after everyone to regain focus on the ET window after playback. Have you been able to replicate this on your end yet @@Luke

I have never reproduced this, but try unzipping this file and overwriting it in your installation. It's an attempt at a workaround. Thanks.

shell.zip

Jdiesel

I have never reproduced this, but try unzipping this file and overwriting it in your installation. It's an attempt at a workaround. Thanks.

Just saw this now. I'll give it a go tonight.

Jdiesel

No luck with the updated file

If you find the settimeout I added in the file, I think it's 1000ms.

You could try raising that as high as 3000.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I think this may have something to do with Theater making an independent taskbar icon when it starts. I'll explain. I have one TV that is connected to an HTPC. It's only used for that one purpose. I leave Theater open all the time. I have the Theater taskbar launch icon in position 1. I have one other icon in position 2. When I launch Theater, another Theater icon appears in position 3. Sometimes I find Theater has lost focus, and I use a Harmony remote. I've mapped the green button to launch Theater by using position 1. What I discovered is that if I press that button when Theater is open, it loses focus. So I mapped another button to position 3, where the second Theater icon is. Pressing that, brings the focus back. The two icon issue has been a problem for a long time. No other software I use, exhibits the same behavior. So I think this is part of, if not the whole problem. I will add that I am not using an external player, I think that's a red herring. 

The app is using two windows,yes, one for the UI, and one for the video player, and this does make things a little more complex. I still have not been able to reproduce this.

shpitz461

For me, the issue went away, on latest ET, the cursor appears upon launch, but after 2 seconds or so it disappears on its own.

Once it's gone, it doesn't come back as long as I use a remote exclusively.

Using internal player (friendly reminder, 3D playback still frozen after 26 minutes... :P).

ET is the only app I have running, I never turn off/sleep the htpc, but when I close the TV the remote closes the focused app automatically (in shutdown sequence I added alt+F4).

I'm using 3.6.0.76 with MPC-HC and this is a problem for me as well.

Is your primary input method a mouse or remote?

Do you have any other software running when trying this?

On a windows 10 machine there's always other software running, but I don't have any other applications open other than Emby Theater.

• 2 months later...
raymondjpg

Can you please try this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0ezaa2sl88kxr2/emby-theater.zip?dl=0

Just unzip and run it portable. Thanks.

Not sure what happened with this download - maybe it was pulled - but I'm afraid I have to resurrect this thread.

I have now encountered the issue with a fresh install of Windows 10 1809, using PotPlayer and/or MPC-BE as an external player in Emby Theater. Strange, as I don't seen it in two other installations of Emby Theater that I am running on Windows10 machines that have been progressively updated from earlier feature builds.

I have tried overwriting the shell.js file in the Emby installation, and disabled autohiding the taskbar. Neither has fixed the issue. Like others, I find that after exiting the external media players Theater loses focus and becomes unresponsive to both a remote control and keyboard. A mouse click on the desktop brings Theater back into focus until next time a video is played then exited.

I have tried various combinations of compatibility mode, particularly disable full screen optimizations, and starting Theater in either windowed or maximised mode. Nothing changes the situation.Theater still loses focus after a video is played.

It has been said that the issue cannot be reproduced with VLC player. I suspect that if the issue is not there with VLC it may not be apparent with other external players. Doofus seemed to think that it might be completely unrelated to use of an external player, that it may be a red herring.

Whatever the cause there are enough people affected that it is worthy of further investigation. Perhaps with a fresh install of Windows 10.