ET loses focus when using external player

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

When playback ends using an external player the ET window loses focus and requires a mouse click to gain focus of the window again. Not very convenient for those who only use remotes.

I assume ET was fullscreen prior to starting playback, right?

Jdiesel

Yes, ET is in fullscreen, MPC-HC launches in fullscreen and exits when playback is complete, ET is still fullscreen but the window isn't active until it is clicked on.

Ok, please try again with the next release of the app, thanks.

Jdiesel

Will it auto update or do you mean the test builds?

shpitz461

Having the same issue, using MPC-HC to play 3D files, ET is in full screen mode, I play the movie, then press stop on Harmony remote, MPC-HC closes and ET comes back up to full screen, but it has no focus.

A workaround is to map alt-tab to a button on the remote, but that's of course inconvenient :)

When MPC-HC launches, ET is minimized, and when the external player closes, I see the desktop for a moment and then ET maximizes. This is on Windows 10.

Thanks for the report. Please try again with the next release of the app, thanks.

• 4 months later...
MrKazador

I just installed Emby theater on a fresh Windows install and I'm having the same issue when using mpc-hc. Emby losing focus which causes all keyboard keys not to function. I have to click on the screen.

Can you reproduce this with any other external player? I do external player testing with vlc and i haven't seen this happen. Thanks.

Can you reproduce this with any other external player? I do external player testing with vlc and i haven't seen this happen. Thanks.

Then how about you try testing with mpc. This happens with both mpc-be and mpc-hc .

People reporting this problem are reporting it is a problem with mpc not vlc.

What command line are you using?

Sorry my response was rather abrupt. But has been frustrating. I've been a very long time user of emby - way before it was called emby. I have 2 emby servers of my own and also setup emby for a friend. I have a mix of windows 10 and windows 7 clients,

All 3 emby servers with 4 different emby clients have had 2 very long outstanding problems - they all lose focus on ET after mpc closes and they all have the mouse cursor issue being discussed here in another thread.

I've reported issues with mpc before and never had a resolution so was disappointing to find you have never actually tested it yourself. These issues with mpc and madvr and cursor problem are so annoying I changed my main home theatre watching on a 150" cinemascope screen over to Kodi. All works fine no problems, but I was also happy with ET before your change of direction focusing on an internal player and dropping madvr support.

Anyway my command line is:

{path}

/play

/close

/fullscreen

Thanks!

I tested a clean install of mpc-hc with default settings. I had no focus problems. After the external player exited, Emby Theater had focus again. I tested this both with closing mpc via mouse, as well as closing via alt-f4.

Jdiesel

Do you mean manually hitting alt-f4 on your keyboard or setting MPC-HC to exit on stop? I can still replicate this on my setup where MPC-HC is set to exit when playback ends

I didn't initially test that but i just did now. I let an episode play to the end, mpc exited, and Emby Theater had focus again and i was able to control it.

MrKazador

I reset MPC HC to its default settings (stock filters) and still the same problem when pressing alt-f4 or alt-x. I also tried setting the option to exit after playback. I tested this on my gaming pc and htpc both using Windows 10. 

Edited by MrKazador

I personally tested this last week and it worked perfectly. I am not denying that you're having a problem, but I think there's more factors at play that we're not realizing yet.