Previously Direct Playing Video Now Won't

nick.becker65

nick.becker65

Hi All,

So I have been ripping my past videos to H265 to stream to my amazon fire tv.  This past week I noticed that will not play direct and request to transcode giving the reason video codec is not supported.  Where I do get started to get this back to direct playing these files?

Details of the movie I was trying to direct play:

VideoCodecHEVC
Codec taghev1
ProfileMain
Level120
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate3255 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Title1080P HEVC
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate159 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng AAC stereo Default
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate640 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1
SubtitleLanguageeng
CodecMOV_TEXT
Codec tagtext
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleEng
Containermov

Thanks,

Nick

PenkethBoy

YMMV - but i had a few HEVC videos that had hev1 as the codec - and emby (cover art) did not recognise them as HEVC videos

I ran them through MKVToolNix which fixed the hev1 to HEVC problem

With MKVToolNix just remux the file and that may fix your problem as well - it will only take a minute or two to run a whole movie through it

Can you please provide the ffmpeg log from emby server? Thanks.

According to that log it tried to direct play, then the video player reported an error with the file and so it automatically switched to transcoding.

@@ebr can probably offer more detailed information.

Curious, what OS and CPU architecture is your server on?

Yep.  If you bring up Stats for Nerds in the app, it should tell you that the reason for transcoding is a direct play error.

Ok so this means that it tried to direct play, and then automatically switched to transcoding after the video player reported an error with the file. We'll see what @@ebr thinks. Thanks !

All it states is transcode reason: direct play error.

Yes, we had already established that :).

There is something with that item that the player cannot deal with and so we automatically switch so it will play properly.

Is the item playing properly?

nick.becker65

Yes as soon as it swaps over to transcoding the movie plays and it looks perfectly fine.

nick.becker65

So is there anything I need to look at?  It has played h265 files direct in the past without any issues on my fire tv. 

You could try sending a log from the app and maybe we can see why it is failing.

nick.becker65

Ok just sent log from app at 8:15 from my server with name Ubuntu. My version of Emby is 3.3.1.0,  and I see it stating there is a new version of the server but it isn't showing up in ubuntu for any packages needing updating.

Edited by nick.becker65

Okay, so the item isn't starting and you get a dialog asking if there is a problem and you are saying "yes" correct?

Try saying no and give it a little more time and see what happens.

nick.becker65

Ok I clicked no and the circle set there and kept spinning for a couple of minutes.  I finally exited out of that screen and tried it again but same results.  Just spinning circle.

You don't have to. You can also manually update using the instructions in the other topic.

nick.becker65

Ok downloaded and installed new version of emby server over the old.  What do I need to do to get the files to play without transcoding?

nick.becker65

Ok so now the files are direct playing ok.  Yet when I do a library scan it fails with"could not find a part of the path '/var/lib/emby-server/root/default/TV'. 

Ok so now the files are direct playing ok.  Yet when I do a library scan it fails with"could not find a part of the path '/var/lib/emby-server/root/default/TV'. 

How did you update your server?

nick.becker65

I read your previous post and someone had provided a simple utility to build an APT repository but since that person is not a member of the dev team I didn't chance using his tool.  Instead i just ran wget on the emby-server-deb_3.4.1.0_amd64.deb and ran dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.4.1.0_amd64.deb.

Ok that's not actually how i said to update. It looks like you have switched from our legacy install package to our new one, which currently is not supported. In the link I gave you, the instructions outlined a manual install process you could follow to update. 

Since you've already done it, what I've seen from others is that a symlink from the old program data location to the new one ('/var/lib/emby-server), seems to work.

nick.becker65

So from your link it stated to another user to see posts #3 and #4 to learn how to manually update.  When I clicked on the link https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58613-question-about-my-32-bit-upgrade/?p=574032 and went to 3 and 4.  These posts did not appear to be instructions.  It was a user having coverart issues, it appears.

What do you mean a symlink from the old program data to new one?  What is it that I need to do with this?