Server 3.4 no longer converts recordings to MKV?

greasy

greasy

I noticed my TV recordings after the update are now in .TS format.  I can't find the setting on the DVR tab anymore to have them encoded to MKV.  Did this feature go away, or is my install hosed up?

I have premier, so it was working fine with the previous version.

I also noticed that my HDHomerun tuner status isn't listed anymore either.

Edited by greasy

mastrmind11

Hi, no, this has not been a stable option that we're comfortable continuing with. We have replaced this with a feature to convert after the recording has completed:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

Thanks.

Is it able to convert and keep the original?  That'd be pretty slick.  Would also be nice to be able to strip subs automatically, since the ffmpeg command is universal.

Is it able to convert and keep the original?  That'd be pretty slick.

Yes that's what it does.

greasy

Thanks for the info.  :)

Any plans on giving us an option to delete the original?  I do like that it's using my GPU now to do the encoding.  Just wish it was also removing those huge .TS files.

• Like 3

cybergrimes

Agree would like option to move or delete originals. Edit: Thanks Luke, glad to see it's being added

Edited by cybergrimes
  • Like 1

Any plans on giving us an option to delete the original? 

Yes we will be adding this.

• Like 3

nyplayer

Why are we forced to transcode I would like to just remux to MKV ...  Most of my recordings are already H264 would like the option to just remux. Original quality MKV keep original audio, video and CC ?

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 2

jasonmcroy

Why are we forced to transcode I would like to just remux to MKV ...  Most of my recordings are already H264 would like the option to just remux. Original quality MKV keep original audio, video and CC ?

This. I have asked for this all through the testing phase. Basically ignored...

• Like 1

This is a good start to the feature that we can build on in the future. Thanks.

greasy

I turned on the convert feature, and it was converting all the files in the folder.  Even the MKV files that were already recorded by the older version.  Can we possibly get an encode after record option for the DVR?

• Like 1

Jennice

This all sounds interesting with the ability to convert.

However, I'd appreciate if it remains an option, not forced.

1) I still have older Win7 players which like the TS format

2) Currently, the transcode seems to be lossy. Something loss-less (plain remux?) would be the ideal for me, if MKV is choosen as "THE" format for Emby.

• Like 1

dranderson402

How about a way to schedule the conversions? In Mythtv we have jobs that would schedule the transcodes to happen overnight. I used that feature because sometimes I would watch the recording 30 minutes after it started or within a few minutes after it ended. This way I wouldn't eat up more resources transcoding a show I was watching.

dranderson402

5aecba189cb30_Untitled.png

Is that what will trigger after a recording is made? Or will the conversion start as soon as the recording is finished? If triggered by the schedule, perfect.

No, not currently. Currently it just runs based on the schedule for the scheduled task.

dranderson402

No, not currently. Currently it just runs based on the schedule for the scheduled task.

Just so I'm clear. If I set the Convert Media schedule to some time overnight, new recordings will not convert till the scheduled task?

dranderson402

Right.

This is perfect. Thank you. I really appreciate this update as it's proving to be better and better that more I find all the new settings and features.

speedingcheetah

Its easy to use either MKVToolnix or ShanaEncoder to remux to mkv or mp4. 

ffmpeg also supports it via CLI. 

cybergrimes

Its easy to use either MKVToolnix or ShanaEncoder to remux to mkv or mp4.

ffmpeg also supports it via CLI.

Do you have a post processing script for those that want it to happen automatically after Emby finishes recording?

Edited by cybergrimes

revengineer

v3.4.0.0 is a great update but suffers from shortages reported here:

1. The "automatically convert new content" option is unusable for me because it attempts to convert ALL existing shows in .mkv format. On my under-powered server, converting hundreds of shows is not a viable option. Because of this issue I now need to manually convert each recording. This will be tedious and I am hoping for a quick fix for adding this to the post-processing step.

2. I need to be able to sync recorded shows to mobile devices.  We really need to be able to do to remux from .ts to .mkv in post-processing, but there is no need to transcode to different bitrate.

3. I have no use for the .ts files ones remuxed to .mkv, so the suggestion for deletion of the .ts files after processing is great.

There is probably a way to address all of these steps with a post-processing script but I do not know the ffmpeg command line parameters to do the remux. If someone has worked this out, please post the script/commands.

• Like 3

greasy

My wife is saying that new recordings aren't matching the roku plugin images while fast forwarding on the rokus.  I will have to do more testing on this, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I will report back with my findings once I've had a chance to test a newer recording that was done with this new server version.