Single Version Movie Display-Windows Web Client

GothsterC

GothsterC

Hello,

This feature request is related to the multiple version feature and seems that it would be very easy to implement.

With multiple versions, you get a pulldown that now displays the version name (string after the hyphen and before the file extension).

For example, I have this:

Alien [1979]

--- Alien [1979] - Director's Cut.mkv

--- Alien [1979] - Theatrical Version.mkv

The pulldown displays 2 selections: Director's Cut and Theatrical Version.

There are many cases though where multiple versions of a movie exist, but I have only one of them, so my files might look like this:

The Hangover [2009]

---- The Hangover [2009] - Theatrical Version.mkv

There is a Director's or Extended or Unrated version, but I only have the regular version so I labelled it as such.  There are other cases where I only have the director's cut and not the theatrical version.

It would be great to read that string that says "Theatrical Version" and put the static text in place of the pulldown, so I could easily see which version of the film I have.

I hope this is clear, but it basically is just parsing out the version string and replacing the pulldown with static text.

Thanks.

Hi there, have you tried the latest version of Emby Server, 3.4? How does it display with that? Thanks.

GothsterC

I tested 3.4 before posting the topic and it behaves how I described.  I really like the way it now parses out the version name instead of showing the entire file name.  However there is no display of the version name when you only have a single version of the film and it would be great to show that as static text in the same location on the screen as the current multiple version name pulldown.

Thanks.

Right ok, now i understand. Problem is I think this is overkill for most users who don't use or don't care about the multi-version feature. Maybe there's another way.

GothsterC

I think the filename would be the deciding factor whether to show it or not.  If by convention the file is named using the version name option, then it would be displayed.

So let's say you have folder with the name: <foldername> and a version name of <versionname>.  If the file is named like: <foldername> - <versionname>.<file_extension>, then you would display:

Version: <versionname> in the interface.  If people don't use that naming convention, then it wouldn't show up.  The logic would already be in place I would think to parse the filename and extract the version name.  The only difference is that if there is only 1 version (one version name), you would display the single version name as static text, instead of the pulldown for multiple version names.