Live TV Series Image Aspect Ratio Wrong

QDivision

QDivision

I would at least like to get some confirmation that this will get solved and not just brushed off as nothing to be done. I'm not the only user of dvblink/tvmosaic plugin and I'm sure other plugins have a similar problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
marlon006

Just let users choose the layout of the now playing section, then the problem would be solved accross multiple epg providers. 

For instance if i could choose logo view for the now playing section no images would be cropped. However this won't work perfectly for users having multiple epg guides, using different aspect ratios.

image.png.de410f067372a30ea45d118bb98af1c8.png

image.thumb.png.76ef29296080c1e0cd45af489024d071.png

Seems like a simple solution?

Edited by marlon006
Clarity and images
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, marlon006 said:

Seems like a simple solution?

Except for...

14 hours ago, marlon006 said:

However this won't work perfectly for users having multiple epg guides, using different aspect ratios.

When we really don't know the aspect of any given image, the best we can do is choose the shape that works the best with most - then decide what to do with ones that don't fit that (crop, distort, reduce).

marlon006
1 hour ago, ebr said:

When we really don't know the aspect of any given image, the best we can do is choose the shape that works the best with most - then decide what to do with ones that don't fit that (crop, distort, reduce).

I respectfully disagree, making the option customizable would solve the issue for every user using any epg provider, it also would still not influence the current users in any way.
I just want to be able to choose which layout i want for the now playing section. Even if i have different epg sources with different aspect ratios, it can still fix a considerate amount off cropping/distortion/etc then when the developer just picks one for me.

Hell I should be able to pick any display method of any section.
Sadly I also don't see a way by using custom css but that isn't my forte. 

It is also debatable that the poster layout works best for most, since epg is so diverse in quallity in multiple regards, people most likely take for granted that it doesn't work perfectly accross pages. Which is also totally understandable, but then again, when someone points out said issues and provides a valid alternative, why is the inmediate response: "deal with it" in other words?

6 hours ago, marlon006 said:

why is the inmediate response: "deal with it" in other words?

Hi.  Sorry, that is not what my response was intended as.  It was just to say that, even with an option, there would be no perfect answer - just as you pointed out as well.

The problem is that options come with their own set of costs - especially ones that are so granular in nature.  Most people also never discover or use most options even when they are there so that's why we endeavor to find something that works as best as it can by default.

We chose portrait because that is what works best with the Emby-provided guide data so that made the most sense from our product's standpoint.

All that being said, when there is no other.... option, then options are possible.

marlon006

I guess there isn't a perfect solution right now. Maybe in the future, we will figure something out. 
Anyway thanks for your detailed response!