Icy Dock and Silent Computer case

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hey guys!

Does anyone have any experience with using Icy Dock (https://www.icydock.com/) with their computer case? If so, any issues with your drives getting too warm? Is the fan pretty quiet? Does it seem flimsy?

I have been reading some reviews of it and it seems there have been some issues for some people.

Also, does anyone use one of those computer cases that promote themselves as silent? Are they? Any heat issues?

I have been looking at one of these on Amazon: It is the Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Quiet Mid Tower Case.

My current case is ok, but I have recently switched over to using openmediavault so it's now my NAS. It's not really that loud but it could always be quieter. It sits behind our entertainment center in the Living Room currently and if I could make it totally silent it would be awesome. Currently you can't hear it at all while watching any videos. 

It's working great and I would like to add in something to make getting to the drives easy in case I need to swap out in the future. I am running four 8TB NAS drives in it at the moment.

I was looking at the 6 bay Icy Dock hardware as my current case has 3 of the 5.5 inch spaces in the front of it and I now don't have the Bluray drive in it anymore. I moved that to one of my other computer where I will do my movie ripping.

If you guys know of another potential idea I would love to hear that as well. At least other than going to a water cooled system! lol

PenkethBoy

i have several of these - work well and fan has different settings 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Dock-Vortex-MB074SP-1B-Drive/dp/B00LT4CA5Y/ref=lp_2173843031_1_9?srs=2173843031&ie=UTF8&qid=1525332236&sr=8-9

i use them with HGST 7200 drives that can get warm and with the fans on a high setting remain cool under load

my WD Blue have the fan at a lower setting

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the response. I will check these out too. I hadn't seen that particular one before.

jasonmcroy

@@PenkethBoy - I am looking at this model on Amazon (US) - It states "Fits 3.5” SATA I/II/III HDD, up to 8TB" - what size HDD are you using in your setup? I have 4 8TB drives and I am wondering if that will work.

PenkethBoy

4 and 6tb in mine - but doubt the box is limited at all by disk size

jasonmcroy

Thanks again. I actually just ordered it. I went directly to the Icy Dock website and looked at the specs there. It states "Up to 10TB" there so I should be fine. I like the specs on this one better than the other ones I had looked at as well.

PenkethBoy

one thing i found was the sata and power connectors are a little weak - so be careful how forceful you are when connecting cables

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to purchase the locking type of cables that don't have the L shape but are straight. The ones I have currently are all L shaped and it doesn't look like they will fit that easily in there.

PenkethBoy

yes L shape would be a tight fit and may stress the connections :)

jasonmcroy

Well, I received my Icy Dock yesterday and installed it. It all went off without a hitch. It looks great in my case too.

post-106-0-37658700-1525539953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1