New to Emby - Looking to setup NUC as Server/Client

atrpm

atrpm

Hello, I'm new to Emby and I'm looking to cut the cord for good and setup an Emby server for my family. I have read a lot of post here before seeking advice. I also live in a small apartment and don't have space to get a big server. 

Here is what I anticipate for the time being. As of right now all the content will be mostly 1080-720HD some 4K (Will increase as time goes by).

1. NUC (http://a.co/97BX60X) with 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7567U, 16GB of RAM and 2TB SSHD as server / client to be used on my main TV (1080p for now) - Will be in used most of the time
  2. 4x Apple TV's running on 1080p/720p TVs - Probably 2 will be running most of the time
  3. 4x 4K TV's Vizio or Sony (Android TV) - Occasional use
  4. iPhones X - Occasional use
  • I can see about 3-4 devices being used at the same time every night.
  • I plan to run IPTV from the server via a M3U list from a reliable provider.
  • I plan to connect to drives via NFS connection to get the media.

I also want to be setup for the next few years so I don't have to upgrade in the forceable future. 

Edited by atrpm

mastrmind11

If you're going to stay on your local network like you describe above, is your media in a format that can direct stream on your apple devices?  If so, you can literally run the server on a cheap PC.  However, if you plan to take Emby on the road with you, then you'll need to figure out how many simultaneous streams you might have to serve at once, which will dictate the CPU that you'll need.  And 3-4 simultaneous users on your local network shouldn't tax a basic 10/100 network.... but I'm not even sure you can buy equipment w/o gb nics/ports these days anyhow.