4K Content

jaketame

jaketame

Hi,

So there is an overlay between having separate libraries for Standard Content and 4K content.

I've got an idea for the following;

Separate Libraries to limit access to users who can't play 4K as I can't trust users to select the relevant version and I would like it to know I'm watching 4K on one device but not on another.

Emby - Can detect whether the device supports 4K so then only displays the 4K content instead of the standard 1080p content on said device. This could handle multiple TVs in the house which may not support 4K so its then not displayed.

Emby - If it detects that the content is 4K it should show a 4K icon on the poster for easy resuming.

Let me know how you guys handle your 4K content.

Spaceboy

Hi,

So there is an overlay between having separate libraries for Standard Content and 4K content.

I've got an idea for the following;

Separate Libraries to limit access to users who can't play 4K as I can't trust users to select the relevant version and I would like it to know I'm watching 4K on one device but not on another.

Emby - Can detect whether the device supports 4K so then only displays the 4K content instead of the standard 1080p content on said device. This could handle multiple TVs in the house which may not support 4K so its then not displayed.

Emby - If it detects that the content is 4K it should show a 4K icon on the poster for easy resuming.

Let me know how you guys handle your 4K content.

i just store all my films together whether its SD, 4k or 3d and let the player choose the best option. works well on ATV/Shield

jaketame

Does it really detect 4K over 1080p...

Plex will pick whichever was scanned in first

Yes our automatic selection will try and choose what will direct play, but you can also select one manually as needed.

Yes but you have to manually merge them, we don't automatically merge movies at this stage.

For TV series, yes they can be in different folders, but they have to be part of the same Emby library.

otispresley

It depends on what you mean by separate folders. I have mine like this, which causes them to show up as the same movie with the ability to select which one to play....or you can let Emby decide based on device capabilities:

Movies

|__ Robert Langdon Collection

|     |__ Inferno (2016) (tt3062096)

|          |__ Inferno (2016) (tt3062096) - HD.mkv

|          |__ Inferno (2016) (tt3062096) - UHD.mkv

|__ Lone Survivor (2013) (tt1091191)

|__ Lone Survivor (2013) (tt1091191) - HD.mkv

|__ Lone Survivor (2013) (tt1091191) - UHD.mkv

jaketame

So for me I’ve got separate folders for standard and then 4K, I have full bitrate 4K and LB (Low Bitrate)

/media/movies/Inferno...

/media/movies4k/Inferno...

/media/movies4klb/Inferno

Same for TV shows

The tv series should merge automatically if they are in the same library. The movies will have to be done manually.

jaketame

Thanks.

I’ve just done the TV shows so waiting for library scan to complete.

Will leave the movies for now and would destroy any automation I’ve got to manually merge movies.

I’d like to try to get rid of Plex!

jaketame

Feedback;

TV Shows have merged with different directory paths however the episodes are showing as doubles thus it’s defaulting to 1080p and not detecting the highest bitrate file that’s direct playable....

Unless I did something wrong?

/media/tvshows/Westworld/...1080p.mkv

/media/tvshows/Westworld/...2160p.mkv

Cheers

CBers

Not sure having different versions of TV episodes is implemented yet, like it is for Movies.

You might need separate libraries if you want them separate.