Playback problems on Roku after router upgrade

Dissonance
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Dissonance

Hello everyone!

I upgraded my router to a Netgear Orbi last week. Now when I try to play a video through my Roku, the progress bar gets stuck and the videos don't play. I've read about similar issues on this forum, but I was unable to find a solution that worked for me. The computer running the server is Windows 7 and has a DHCP reservation on the network. The router has port 8096 TCP/UDP forwarded to the computer running the server. The computer running the server has the port open in the firewall, as well as the server application. I noticed that the server log shows an incorrect address for the Roku. Would someone please help me?

Thanks!

Dissonance

I tried to upload the server log, but it didn't seem to work. I will try again.

HI.  Try lowering the bitrate setting in the app to something like 3Mb and see if it plays.  If so, then start moving the setting up until you get good quality and playback.

Dissonance

That didn't work.

The videos are stored on NAS. In the server log, it looks like it's trying to play them from \\192.168.0.105\, but the NAS is actually at 192.168.1.2. I logged out of everything, deleted the devices in configure emby, and rebooted everything. Still not working.

Suggestions?

• Solution

Then it sounds like you need to change your emby library setup if the ip address has changed. Go into your Emby libraries, remove the old folder paths, then add the new ones.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Dissonance

You're right. I got it fixed.

Removing and adding the library location would've lost my play history, so I found that I can change the address in the xml and mblink files in the Emby-Server\root directory. Then, everything worked after I rescanned the library.

Thanks!

For globally identifiable movies and TV shows, you would not lose your play history.  I'm not sure exactly what you did there but it sounds like it was effectively the same as removing and re-adding the folder locations via the UI.

I would suggest using a UNC path though - so that the locations are not tied to a specific IP and you just end up having this same problem again.

• Like 1