Embedded .ass subtitles not showing up

valp

Hey guys, I have a LG B7 TV and I was trying to use Emby to play some anime. The issue is that Emby won't display the embedded subtitles, even though it is able to list them all.

If I try to transcode, the subtitles sometimes show up, but in DirectPlay they never do.

This same behaviour is present on the Web Player, when using Emby from my PC.

If I use DLNA, these subtitles work normally on the TV, and I can change them seamlessly.

The files I'm playing are pretty standard: mkv, h264, 8bit, .ass subtitles.

hi @@valp, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hello, thanks for the fast reply. Here's a log of the relevant time of playback in the TV. After closing the TV client, I went to the PC and tried to run the same file in Emby. In the PC the subtitles worked. No transcode in both situations.

For better search, the file is named: [Erai-raws] Alice to Zouroku - 02 [1080p][Multiple Subtitle][FADD26A9].mkv

It has around 8 embedded subtitles in .ass format. I tried to change the subtitles during the playback, but nothing happened and no subtitles showed up.

The TV ip is 192.168.100.52 and the Local PC and Server ip is 192.168.100.15.

Default Emby configs.

Thanks a lot.

Pastebin file: https://pastebin.com/2bh5aFnc

Edited by valp

How are you switching back and forth between transcoding and direct play?

valp

How are you switching back and forth between transcoding and direct play?

During playback I ask emby to display lower bitrate/resolution, so it transcodes. While doing that he burns in the subtitles. The default behavior is to direct play however.

valp

can you provide a sample video for testing? thanks.

I made a test file and made some tests. I think I get a clearer view of the issue now, and it's probably has something to do with the fact that the files are stored in the cloud, mounted on Windows with fuse through Rclone.

Having the files on a local hard drive showed me that Emby displayed and changed the subtitles without issue. 

However, my setup involves a Google Drive mounted through Rclone. Since this mounted drive doesn't read or seek the same way local drives do, probably Emby is not being able to get the subtitles in time to show them up, or maybe it's waiting for the cache/read ahead get the whole file before properly showing subtitles. DLNA seems to avoid this issue.

In a few tests, I let the video roll for a minute, no subtitles, then I seek to the end parts of the video, and subtitles come up.

I guess that's the bottom line of the problem: playback of embedded subtitles of files not hosted locally (rclone mount or similar).

Let me know if I can help with something to fix this issue. 

Thanks.

Yes that explains it. We extract the subtitles on the fly and this process can be slow because it has to read the entire video in order to do that.

You should go into server transcoding settings disable on the fly subtitle extraction. You're going to see a lot more transcoding after doing that because the subtitles will have to be burned in, but they will work.