W3570 Xeon Processor question.

Quaazar

Quaazar

I've been gifted a pair of Xeon W3570 CPU's and i'm looking to upgrade my existing Emby server. Would it benefit me to use this pair of CPU's or opt for a more modern i7 instead.  My primary goal is providing 3-5 transcode streams, which is wrecking the 7 year old leftover desktop class machine i'm currently using. 

This machine is also running 4 or 5 other NZB related utilities.

Any help is appreciated.

mastrmind11

I've been gifted a pair of Xeon W3570 CPU's and i'm looking to upgrade my existing Emby server. Would it benefit me to use this pair of CPU's or opt for a more modern i7 instead.  My primary goal is providing 3-5 transcode streams, which is wrecking the 7 year old leftover desktop class machine i'm currently using. 

This machine is also running 4 or 5 other NZB related utilities.

Any help is appreciated.

Uhh, those will do nicely.  Just 1 is good for 5-6 transcodes, so 2 is well, double that.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+W3570+%40+3.20GHz&id=1271

Edited by mastrmind11

Quaazar

Uhh, those will do nicely.  Just 1 is good for 5-6 transcodes, so 2 is well, double that.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+W3570+%40+3.20GHz&id=1271

Thank you for your help Mastrmind, a 6100 passmark score seems low. This is why I questioned the chips. Since I have nothing other than the CPU's i'll be building the rest of the machine, I didn't want to invest in board/chip/psu/ram on something that was dated (2009) if I could get modern components that performed as well.

mastrmind11

Oh, I see what you mean.  Yeah if you're building from scratch, might as well get something more modern.  I run a xeon 1225 v3 and can get 6 transcodes, which is basically the same proc but 4 years more recent.  Probably better to play it safe and get an i7 or even a slightly more modern Xeon (mine is from 2012 I believe) than the ones you have.