Soft SRT subtitles not displaying

Paul77nz

Paul77nz

I've just started going through my Blu-ray collection and ripping them to my PC using MakeMKV. I then use MKVToolNix to replace the PGS subtitles with SRT so I can avoid transcoding. I generally download the SRT files from the Internet.

However, on many of they resulting video files the subtitles will not display. I am able to select the subtitle stream and receive no errors, they just don't display.

This is happening when playing back via my Xbox One or via Chrome on my PC.

Attached is a server log from me attempting to play a file on my Xbox One with the subtitle stream enabled, this file does not display on subtitles on Xbox or in Chrome. There is no ffmpeg log as there was no transcoding.

I have also extracted and attached the SRT from the same file, in case that can tell you anything.

All of my files correctly display the subtitles in VLC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: That SRT may not be a great example, as it is a bit odd that they removed the HI by just replacing it with blank lines, however this is just one of several files that has the problem. And as mentioned, VLC is happy with it.

server-63660624615.txt

Aliens - Special Edition_track4_eng.srt

Edited by Paul77nz

Paul77nz

I've installed Emby Theater on my Windows PC for testing, and am getting the same results. The ones that fail are consistent between Emby Theater on Xbox and PC. Playing through Chrome sometimes gets different results.... so not sure if this belongs in this forum or the Emby Theater forum, but I don't want to double post.

Edited by Paul77nz

Does this url produce the subtitles from your example earlier?

http://192.168.2.2:8096/emby/Videos/af41cbac17cadcfa58df7dc5e54304d4/af41cbac17cadcfa58df7dc5e54304d4/Subtitles/3/0/Stream.vtt 

Paul77nz

Does this url produce the subtitles from your example earlier?

http://192.168.2.2:8096/emby/Videos/af41cbac17cadcfa58df7dc5e54304d4/af41cbac17cadcfa58df7dc5e54304d4/Subtitles/3/0/Stream.vtt 
@@Luke, do I just put this in Chrome?

When I put it in Chrome's address bar and hit enter all it displays is "WEBVTT".
Edited by Paul77nz

Paul77nz

@@Luke

I've made some progress.

I used notepad to copy the contents of a non-working SRT into a working SRT from another video (overwriting the existing content), then muxed that back into the video that previously wasn't working.

After doing that it does work, so something to do with the file itself as opposed to the text contents.

More of a workaround than a fix, as the offending SRTs are fine in other players such as VLC.

Thanks

EDIT: Attached two SRTs. The original that wasn't working, and after it transferred it's contents into one that is working. Maybe someone smarter than me can see a difference?

Alien - Director's Cut BROKEN.srt

Alien - Director's Cut FIXED.srt

Edited by Paul77nz

Paul77nz

With the provided sample I'm getting subtitles in Chrome.

@@Luke maybe it's only a problem if they are muxed into the video file? I haven't tried them as external files.

Paul77nz

@@Luke I'll see if I can narrow this down more on my end before you put any more of your time into it.

P.S. Is it normal that the first time you play a video with subtitles that it takes a couple of minutes before the subtitles start displaying, but are instant on any subsequent viewing? Is the delay on the first playback the time it takes to convert from SRT to VTT?

It can be sometimes, yes, because we extract the subtitles on the fly and on some systems this will be slow. Sounds like it is slow for you.

You could dis-allow on the fly extraction in server transcoding settings, but this will result in burning them in with server transcoding which you may not like. That's why keep them external is always the most efficient choice.

Paul77nz

It can be sometimes, yes, because we extract the subtitles on the fly and on some systems this will be slow. Sounds like it is slow for you.

You could dis-allow on the fly extraction in server transcoding settings, but this will result in burning them in with server transcoding which you may not like. That's why keep them external is always the most efficient choice.

Thanks @@Luke, that makes sense.

System isn't slow, but they are very large files so that probably accounts for the delay.

I want to avoid transcoding so I'll keep them separate where I can.

Thanks again