embysvr user renamed and now no connection to dashboard

tomdh76
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

tomdh76

Hello,

I wanted to try google home and emby connect is needed. I had two users both Kids and embysvr. I changed the name of embysvr to Tom for better visibility for the log screen and keeped Kids. Unfortunately I forgot that embysvr is needed for permissions in the synology. I now can only login with Kids but Kids has no server manage possiblities. Is it possible to change the user Tom back to embysvr?

• Solution

Hi, I think you're confusing system users on your synology box vs. emby users in your emby installation. 

You don't need to have a user called embysvr in your Emby installation, although our install package may have created a user on your synology system by that name.

• Like 1

tomdh76

Okay, so I made a new user in the synology box with exact the same permissions as the originally made embysvr but had still no access. Then I used password reset and could login without using password, so maybe something had gone wrong with changing password. 

After this exercise I have however another question: are users (such as embysvr was) necessary to be defined in the synology box, given that I see that user Kids is not defined in the synology box but has permissions to watch movies. Or is this embysvr necessary for adding subtitles and deleting tv episodes?

Edited by tomdh76

Yes the install package creates that one user on the box in order to access resources on the box, without having to use an admin account.

The system user doesn't correspond to any users in your emby server, and you don't need to create additional system users.

Does this help?

tomdh76

Yes, thanks. I think everything works ok right now. I have only enabled user embysvr in the synology and made users in the "emby users" part