about to change metadata save location, and ....

chef

chef

Hi,

After many years of burning, and saving my movie/tv collections, it has come to a point where my drives have filled up.

Currently, I'm saving metadata in each folder.

I don't pull a bunch of info. I have emby set to only grab a poster, one backdrop, video backdrop, and a logo image.

Becuase my OS drive is sitting with only the OS, and Emby on it (and it's a TB drive), I was considering checking the option to save all metadata in one location for emby.

This would free up some space on my drives as a temporary fix until I can purchase some bigger drive space.

I have a couple questions though:

1. By checking the option to save metadata in one central location, will it 'move' the data from my drives, or download all new information?

2. If it downloads new information, will it remove the existing information in each media folder?

3. Finally, will the new centralized Metadata folder structure contain GUID's for the media, or item names?

Thanks so much for anyone who will answer some of these questions for me, I really appreciate the time.

abescalamis

Hi,

After many years of burning, and saving my movie/tv collections, it has come to a point where my drives have filled up.

Currently, I'm saving metadata in each folder.

I don't pull a bunch of info. I have emby set to only grab a poster, one backdrop, video backdrop, and a logo image.

Becuase my OS drive is sitting with only the OS, and Emby on it (and it's a TB drive), I was considering checking the option to save all metadata in one location for emby.

This would free up some space on my drives as a temporary fix until I can purchase some bigger drive space.

I have a couple questions though:

1. By checking the option to save metadata in one central location, will it 'move' the data from my drives, or download all new information?

2. If it downloads new information, will it remove the existing information in each media folder?

3. Finally, will the new centralized Metadata folder structure contain GUID's for the media, or item names?

Thanks so much for anyone who will answer some of these questions for me, I really appreciate the time.

Brother, I was in your shoes 2 years ago, to make the story short at the end, I even deleted all of my metadata after trying different things, the amount of space I gained by deleting everything (metadata) was filled almost immediately (1 week), then I was forced to get more Space/hard drives, and after, I realized that all I did was wasting time doing all the tricks that at the end I had to get more drives.

Back then I had 3TB hard drive and was forced to get a NAS.

Edited by abescalamis
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

1 Option only applies to new media.  Metadata does not get migrated/moved.

2 No it does not get deleted

3 GUID (you can already see the layout in your *\metadata\library folder since Chapters reside there)

• Like 1

chef

So the process indeed does create a negligible amount of space. Looks like I have to get more drives.

naeonline

I wouldn't delete your metadata.  If you ever have to rebuild your emby server, rebuilding your libraries will be significantly faster if you leave your metadata with the media.  Emby itself only reads that metadata during library scans/refreshes, so moving the location in the Emby Server settings won't do anything for you in that regard, that basically just moves' Emby's cache folder.

• 2 weeks later...
mrfaulk

it seems that when i installed emby and added my movie libraries, emby automatically placed the metadata for my movies in a cache folder residing in the emby server folder, i.e. the metadata wasn't added to the folders containing my movies, which was perfect for my needs... again, i think the process was automatic, i don't remember being prompted to choose where i wanted the metadata stored when i created the emby libraries, altho i could be wrong.

anyway, today i added more movies and noticed that the metadata is now being saved to the folder(s) containing the movies, which i don't want, how do i change this behavior? in "settings > advanced > cache path" the path is blank which, i believe, is how it should be if i want metadata to be saved in the server cache... so what am i doing wrong?

Edited by mrfaulk

Happy2Play

it seems that when i installed emby and added my movie libraries, emby automatically placed the metadata for my movies in a cache folder residing in the emby server folder, i.e. the metadata wasn't added to the folders containing my movies, which was perfect for my needs... again, i think the process was automatic, i don't remember being prompted to choose where i wanted the metadata stored when i created the emby libraries, altho i could be wrong.

anyway, today i added more movies and noticed that the metadata is now being saved to the folder(s) containing the movies, which i don't want, how do i change this behavior? in "settings > advanced > cache path" the path is blank which, i believe, is how it should be if i want metadata to be saved in the server cache... so what am i doing wrong?

The cache folder is just that a cache.  If you don't save meta with media it is saved in metadata\library.  All the options you are looking for are per library now.  Select each library in Dashboard-Library and ensure you enable the advanced option also.

mrfaulk

The cache folder is just that a cache.  If you don't save meta with media it is saved in metadata\library.  All the options you are looking for are per library now.  Select each library in Dashboard-Library and ensure you enable the advanced option also.

> so i have a folder containing action movies (for example), it only contains movie files, nothing else, no metadata files.

> this folder was added to emby and scanned when i installed emby... after the process only movie files remained in the folder, nothing else, just like before the process.

> perfect, this is just what i wanted.

> today i added 10 more movies to this folder then, in emby, scanned the library containing these new movies.

> after the process i found that the metadata for these movies was added to the folder containing the movies, which i don't want.

the library settings for this folder:

image.png

is this where i adjust the settings so that metadata isn't saved to the movie folders? if so, which setting? thanks very much!

Edited by mrfaulk

Happy2Play

You will want to uncheck nfo also if you don't want it saved with media.  With this disabled it is only saved into the database.  Note existing metadata will not be removed from media folders.  If you don't want them you have to manually delete.

This is actually off by default. The only way this could possibly have happened is if you enabled it.

> so i have a folder containing action movies (for example), it only contains movie files, nothing else, no metadata files.

> this folder was added to emby and scanned when i installed emby... after the process only movie files remained in the folder, nothing else, just like before the process.

> perfect, this is just what i wanted.

> today i added 10 more movies to this folder then, in emby, scanned the library containing these new movies.

> after the process i found that the metadata for these movies was added to the folder containing the movies, which i don't want.

the library settings for this folder:

image.png

is this where i adjust the settings so that metadata isn't saved to the movie folders? if so, which setting? thanks very much!

i've recently added movies to an existing library, *.nfo files

For the purposes of improving the software, can i ask you to read the contents of that screen and then let us know if you still can't find it? Thanks.

mrfaulk

You will want to uncheck nfo also if you don't want it saved with media.  With this disabled it is only saved into the database.  Note existing metadata will not be removed from media folders.  If you don't want them you have to manually delete.

bam! perfect, thanks very much!

btw, speaking of the "manage folders" settings, the "enable real time monitoring" setting looks interesting, what exactly does it do and is there any performance hit using it? thanks again!

mrfaulk

This is actually off by default. The only way this could possibly have happened is if you enabled it.

very strange, i'm sure i didn't enable it, unless there's a global setting in the dashboard that would have enabled this setting for each folder, which i inadvertently set? i mean i didn't even know the "manage folders" existed until happy2play pointed it out... in fact after he mentioned it, and i made the change and it worked, i checked every library i had set up when i installed emby and it was enabled in every one, i can assure you that i didn't go through every library and enable it! anyway, i unchecked the box in every library and all is good!

Edited by mrfaulk

Happy2Play

bam! perfect, thanks very much!

btw, speaking of the "manage folders" settings, the "enable real time monitoring" setting looks interesting, what exactly does it do and is there any performance hit using it? thanks again!

Real time monitoring adds new media without having to wait for media to being discover with a library scan (assuming your system supports it).  Less intense then full library scan.

mrfaulk

Real time monitoring adds new media without having to wait for media to being discover with a library scan (assuming your system supports it).  Less intense then full library scan.

very helpful, i'll give it a try, thanks! btw, is there a global setting that will make adjustments to all library folders or are you required to edit each folder individually? thanks again.

mrfaulk

well i enabled it, added new media, and it wasn't discovered, i had to do a library scan... so what "systems" support this feature?