No sound when playing MBC from a 2nd machine.

HTPCity_Planner
Go to solution Solved by Deihmos,

HTPCity_Planner

I have MBC and MBS on my main HTPC machine.  Wanted to play a movie through another networked computer running MBC (both running Windows 7).  I made sure I updated everything to the latest versions of MBC and MBS.  The video shows up perfect on the other machine, but I get no sound.  I've checked the main sound settings and everything seems to be set Ok.  I can play Youtube videos and other types of videos and the sound works fine.

Is there something special I need to do to get sound to work, perhaps in the codecs (running Shark's 007)?

Edited by HTPCity_Planner

Personally I had some bad experiences in the past with the Shark codecs w.r.t. audio. Have you tried the LAV codecs?

Here is an instruction how to install them.

Edited by 1972
  • Like 1

• Solution
Deihmos

MBC does not have anything to do with the audio or video I think. That's all determined by the codecs you have installed and if they are configured correctly. There is really no need to install codec packs. You can get by with just installing the lav codecs and changing lav as the default decoder using win7dsfiltertweaker. 

• Like 2

christoph86

Is this playing directly to your tv or going through an AVR?  If going directly to the tv, make sure in the Shark codecs under audio that you don't have anything checked for bitstreaming.

HTPCity_Planner

MBC does not have anything to do with the audio or video I think. That's all determined by the codecs you have installed and if they are configured correctly. There is really no need to install codec packs. You can get by with just installing the lav codecs and changing lav as the default decoder using win7dsfiltertweaker. 

I'll uninstall the Shark codecs and try the LAV codes route, see if that changes anything...thanks guys

JohnnyM

Is it for all movies? Have you tried changing the audio to another channel if possible using WMC. Have you tried playing it with VLC to make sure your equipment can play the audio.

HTPCity_Planner

Is it for all movies? Have you tried changing the audio to another channel if possible using WMC. Have you tried playing it with VLC to make sure your equipment can play the audio.

Yep.  Just checked and audio works fine with VLC player.

swhitmore

Yep. Just checked and audio works fine with VLC player.

VLC runs with its own codecs, so that won't really help you. Although it does confirm that you do in fact have a codec issue. Make sure you uninstall anything related to codecs, then try LAV. If that doesn't work, we will have to try a few other things.

HTPCity_Planner

VLC runs with its own codecs, so that won't really help you. Although it does confirm that you do in fact have a codec issue. Make sure you uninstall anything related to codecs, then try LAV. If that doesn't work, we will have to try a few other things.

Yep, will try the LAV codecs and see what happens.  Thanks all

HTPCity_Planner

Installed LAV filters, xy-vsfilter and win7dsfiltertweaker, Now MBC wont even play the video. Checked with VLC and it doesn't even see any of the video files.

Deihmos

Did you use dstweaker to change the default decoder? Vlc not seeing the files can't be related.

HTPCity_Planner

Did you use dstweaker to change the default decoder? Vlc not seeing the files can't be related.

Yes.  I set it  up exactly how this page says to.  It said to use "USE MERIT" as the preferred decoder for video and "LAV Audio" for all audio.

ETA: OK..that's weird, all of a sudden it's working just fine. crazy

HTPCity_Planner

Ok after playing around with it and trying several movies, the video works fine, the audio works fine, but only for about 3-5 minutes, then it quits.  Video continues to run, but audio is lost.  Seems to happen during scene changes.

Are you sure you have the second machine setup properly to access your content and not stream it...?

HTPCity_Planner

Are you sure you have the second machine setup properly to access your content and not stream it...?

I thought so. You actually helped me set it up when MB3 first came out. Can you elaborate a bit more on what I need to check to make sure though?

HTPCity_Planner

OK, I went back and checked the LAV filters setup.  I had bitstreaming enabled.  I unchecked those boxes and it seems to be working ok.