flv files its most fast to play

cajacontrol

cajacontrol

Hi, since some years ago I am  using emby to provide media movies and series to all  my family and friends. I  have tested too many options, like  .avi, .mp4 and mkv files.. transcoding... no transcoding.. sata hard disk,, ssd disk, ect...

The problems begin when emby need to transcode,  when needs to play in your TV android, or TVbox android, or Chromecast, or computer , Ipad, ect , ect.

In all cases, I test all the transcode options that emby support , using also one Nvidia Video Card. Gforce GTI1080

Some day I am watching a drama fever serie online , and I discovering that dramafever company use flv files..  mmm the file in 1080p run amazing fast and smoth with 0 freezes and buffering

I decided to experiment converting all my mp4 and mkv files in a flv file without subs and using just one native languaje. with movavi video convert software..,  from that point I discovered that emby start flv file in 0.0001 second so faster. no transcoding, no use computer waste procesing... so smooth

I play in 6 devices at the same time at 1080p movies and series to test server procesor working, and the server work so smooth most performance and dont hurt in  transcoding procesing

when i play a mp4 file... the server beign to trasncode and movie begin at 60 seconds.

when I play a mvk movie is most later ,,, at 2.25 mutes and computer hurts.

Computer is Intel Core i7 with 48 ram memory . (nas qnap 8 hard disk)

The conclucion to me is: 

FLV files is most amazing format to use emby in all your different devices like chromecast, android, tv, and computer

flv files dont turns slow the server when transcoding

Flv files dont experiment freeze moments in movie like we experiment using mkv or mp4 (buffering)

flv file playing:

emby1.png

emby1.png

5adf35bd7649f_emby1.png

5adf35ece866b_emby2.png

5adf360276b1d_emby8.png

WITH MP4 OR MKV FILES:

5adf36369e4ca_emby3.png

5adf364c9e26a_emby4.png:angry:

5adf3673bd1a2_emby5.png

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

THANKS !!

Edited by cajacontrol

Hi, I don't recommend this. Nothing is better than mp4 and mkv.

The reason the mkv is transcoding is right in front of you - unsupported subtitle format. Just disable the subtitles and it will direct play too.

cajacontrol

I dont use substitles or languages,  all my movies are in latin spanish directly .... also mkv and mp4 trancoding in some devices...in chromecast mp4 play direct but make buffering and freeze moments....and when are 5 or 6 devices playing at the same time , the bufeering go worst , but in flv dont happen  that , I experiment most fast 

That is my experience....every body can test and take the best decision...

5adf49d18642b_emby10.png

Edited by cajacontrol

naeonline

.flv is only a container just like .mp4 or .mkv.  That has nothing to do with your files transcoding/direct playing.  If you notice the .flv playing in your example it has h264 video and aac audio and is direct playing.  The .mp4/.mkv example you have shows that it has h264 video and mp3 audio with the transcoding reason that the subtitle format is not supported (by your playing device/browser) so it has to transcode the subtitle.  That means that you either have an external subtitle file associated with the /mp4/.mkv version or there is a subtitle stream in your /mp4/.mkv files.  Given that the .flv has aac audio and the others have mp3 audio and  subtitles associated with them you aren't comparing the same thing.  This still doesn't take into account that you converted your files using movavi which may have also changed the h264 parameters and reconverted your video as well.  If you were to take your .flv files and directly copy the audio/video into a .mp4 or .mkv container and not have an associated subtitle file or stream like the .flv files, you would get the same results.

.mkv - most versatile (and best) container and widely supported, though not to the extent of .mp4

.mp4 - most widely supported container across devices (iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Roku, FireTV, etc...)

.flv - rarely used, born out of flash video for protected content and anything related to flash should die a quick but painful death.

How would you directly copy the video and audio streams in your .flv files to .mp4/.mkv containers?  I'd use ffmpeg.

ffmpeg.exe -i "MovieName.flv" -movflags faststart -a copy -v copy "MovieName.mp4"

ffmpeg.exe -i "MovieName.flv" -a copy -v copy "MovieName.mkv"

Great job on doing your investigation, you just had some false assumptions which drew you to the wrong conclusion.  Keep it up and keep learning.

cajacontrol

Like I said " I dont need use subs ... and all my movies and series are in just one languaje  "spanisH"  to me  in the system that  I have mounted flv converted from movavi video converter soft.. go like a charm!  I dont know why but did it!

I know Mp4 and Mkv is most new and versatile , but in m y case I experiment buffering... and freeze moments, when some 5 or 6 peoples are viewing emby content ...

Now  with flv files converted with "movavi video converted"  dont happen that

movies start from 0.0001 seconds and movies at 2:30 hours with 0 freezes and 0 buffering . like I experiment with mp4 and mkv 

in mkv emby start busy icon in circles and circles for 2.30 minutes ..before start movie.... in flve is amazing start inmediately also in a remote tv client

maybe you can do the test.

I am using windows 10 intel core i7 and 48 ram memory... and one Qnap NAS with 8 hard discs.. Unifi network (ubiquiti) wireless 5.0 and 2.4 hmz.. 

JeremyFr79

You can remove the subs using an app like mkvmerge which will take less time per file than converting to FLV and get the same results and keep native containers, if you don't need em remove em.  I do the same for all my content and have no issues.