2016 Server

dcook

dcook

Hello, just wondering if 2016 Server is fully supported/tested? 

I am looking to rebuild my setup and would like to use a proper ServerOS instead of Windows10.

Also does it work in 2016 Core mode? or do you require the GUI?

Thanks!

hi @@dcook

Currently the server will run just fine but it depends on two windows .dll files that are not included. You can find details here and learn how you can manually install these files:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/3175

At some point we will get this into our install process, until then it has to be handled manually. I would suggest doing it first before installing the server. Thanks.

dcook

Does it require the GUI to be installed?

Or will it run fine with the default 2016 Core mode?

hi @@dcook

Currently the server will run just fine but it depends on two windows .dll files that are not included. You can find details here and learn how you can manually install these files:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/3175

At some point we will get this into our install process, until then it has to be handled manually. I would suggest doing it first before installing the server. Thanks.

Yea I hadn't read his notes in a while so it looks like now it's more than two .dll's, nonetheless, everything needed should be there. 

CBers

I am looking to do it with Core so no GUI, less patches that way

I think you should reconsider, as a GUI is a must for a Server OS, IMO :)

@@PenkethBoy Thoughts?

PenkethBoy

well if you run with no GUI - your best friend is going to be Powershell to get things done

and i imagine adding software will be fun - as most will expect a gui to provide feedback even if just for the install

in a pro environment less of an issue - for the home user well might get frustrating

not tired installing core as yet to try it out -  so ymmv

dcook

Not sure why you would say GUI is a must for Server OS, unless you were being sarcastic? 

Any Sys Admin will tell you that Servers should have as little as possible, which is why Linux is so popular and why Microsoft has made Server Core in trying to catch up to Linux. 

In 2016 Server Core is the default configuration you have to specifically select GUI if you want to install it.  For most servers GUI is not required as you never log in to them, and I don't see why I would need to login to the server for Emby either?  With my current Win10 server I never login to the server as I can do everything I need remotely.

I think you should reconsider, as a GUI is a must for a Server OS, IMO :)

@@PenkethBoy Thoughts?

Edited by dcook
  • Like 1