Transcoding Question

outlawman

outlawman

Hello,

i have a question, since my GPU does not support NVENC (GT630), i want to know the best option for 4k transcoding in Emby. My CPU is AMD Phenom II 1090T, but i get stutters on my PC when playing...it does not matter what i choose, i was wondering, if i get a simple Quadro (like the P400), and then select NVENC, would that solve my issue?

outlawman

Thank you, i see now that it's not the best choice for what i need, maybee i'll wait for GTX1050Ti prices to drop

Guest asrequested

I'm a little confused. Is the computer also running the server, or is this purely for playback? If it's just playback and not transcoding, there are a several GPUs that support HEVC 4k with hardware acceleration.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/

Edited by Doofus

digger11

If it's strictly for playback, a GT 1030 should do. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1810727#post1810727

Even with today's over-inflated GPU prices I've seen them <$100.

First time I looked at them I was all excited to find a sub $100 Pascal based card, until I figured out they don't support HW accelerated HEVC encoding.

That said, if the price difference to move up to a 1050 or 1050 TI isn't an issue, go for one of them instead.

Price and low power/cooling requirements are what the 1030 has going for it.

outlawman

i think i will go for 1050ti, because i read somwhere that nvenc is not supported on GT1030, and i want to be  futureproof for some time :)

Edited by outlawman