big issues with ac3 playback with chromecast since 3.3.1.0

turpentine
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

turpentine

Hello friends, i am an emby premiere user :)

I got issue with chromecast ac3 playback in transcoding  when playing a mkv file. When I chose the DTS 7.1 stream file, my chromecast 2 is casting well the movie.

When i choose the AC3 dolby digital 5.1 or the AC3 dolby digital+ 5.1 in emby, my chromecast shows the movie fan art, try to start the movie, stay on the movie fan art, and get back to emby default cast image.

If i use google chrome, or firefox, the movie is playing, but not in chromecast.

is ac3 stream for chromecast broken since server 3.3.1.0 ?

Edited by turpentine

turpentine

@@Luke Yep i will provide them right away

my internet connection is limited to 7MB/S

working

ffmpegtranscodeDTS(working).txt

not working

ffmpegtranscodeAC3(notworking)-1.txt

ffmpegtranscodeAC3(notworking)-2.txt

ffmpegtranscodeAC3(notworking)-3.txt

server log

it seems for some damn reason emby server for debian 9,

try to encode in AAC 5.1 384kbps , when i choose the AC3(DD) or EAC3(DD+) in Audio Emby  before play,

instead of transcoding in AC3 384 am i correct when reading the logs ?

Is it true that google removed   5.1 AAC support ??

Luke please advise if my understanding of the logs are correct, why emby tries to send AAC 5.1 to my chromecast if it might be not supported by google ?

It should send AC3 in direct stream, or transcode to lower rate (384kbps) if bandwidth is sufficient  for the global bitrate.

if i chose DTS 7.1 or DTS 5.1 , for a  buggy reason, emby desides to transcode in AAC 24 bit in stereo only, instead or at least transcoding to AC3 384bps.

It seems that chromecast stil support AAC in stereo 24bit. But even if it works it should at least play 5.1 at lowest AC3 bitrate possible.

thanks a lot for your help

Edited by turpentine

Hi there, please try to play again and let me know if the issue is resolved now. Thanks.

turpentine

Hi there, please try to play again and let me know if the issue is resolved now. Thanks.

Hi again

@@Luke, the problem is now solved, but the audio is still in stereo.

Stream #0:1: Audio: aac (LC) ([255][0][0][0] / 0x00FF), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s when choosing the AC3 audio stream.

if the input is AC3 Stream #0:4(fre): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 512 kb/s 

Why you do not direct stream the audio to the chromecast as it is  that is to say ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 512 kb/s 

or at least transcode to ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s

here we have   Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 512 kb/s ---> aac stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s (we lost the 5.1) ;) ?

Edited by turpentine

• Solution

Yea that's something I'm looking at but it will also require a server release. Thanks.

• Like 1