Having trouble with folder management

thura10
Go to solution Solved by thura10,

thura10

Ok so, I searched around a bit but didn't find anything related to this. So far, emby has been amazing and prefer it a lot more over plex (ui, customizability). Right now, I have a bit of a problem.

I have two folders in my main hdd (movies and series). So, adding libraries was fairly easy. But I keep some titles like Mr. Bean and Futurama in the movies folder. Mr. Bean has 2 movies and 1 series. Futurama has 7 seasons and 4 movies.

The movies added fine and loaded the metadata quickly. But the series as you would expect are adding each episode as an individual movie (which is annoying).

Any way around this other than the obvious moving them to the series folder? I really would prefer not to.

Edited by thura10

d00zah

I leave movies & TV series in their respective libraries with the following work-around...

- TV series "typically" treat associated movies as 'specials'

- Emby allows a 'Season 0' folder for specials in the TV library

For example, a movie that exists in my Movie library:

\\NAS\Media\Video\Movies\[s-Z]\X Files- I Want to Believe, The (2008)\The X Files- I Want to Believe (2008).mkv

can also appear in the TV series 'Season 0' folder by creating a symlink pointing to the Movie library:

\\NAS\Media\Video\TV\Series\X-Files, The [series]\Season 0\S00E06 - The X-Files- I Want to Believe.mkv

One copy of the movie appears in both libraries without requiring 2 copies. YMMV

Note:

Folder structure & file names based on WIKI recommendations:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Edited by d00zah

You could also try the mixed content type and see if that is able to handle your folder structure.

thura10

You could also try the mixed content type and see if that is able to handle your folder structure.

The mixed content might mess up my 1000+ movies. Some of them are kinda messy and I had to manually identify them. This might mess them up again so ain't risking it.

• Solution
thura10

I leave movies & TV series in their respective libraries with the following work-around...

- TV series "typically" treat associated movies as 'specials'

- Emby allows a 'Season 0' folder for specials in the TV library

For example, a movie that exists in my Movie library:

\\NAS\Media\Video\Movies\[s-Z]\X Files- I Want to Believe, The (2008)\The X Files- I Want to Believe (2008).mkv

can also appear in the TV series 'Season 0' folder by creating a symlink pointing to the Movie library:

\\NAS\Media\Video\TV\Series\X-Files, The [series]\Season 0\S00E06 - The X-Files- I Want to Believe.mkv

One copy of the movie appears in both libraries without requiring 2 copies. YMMV

Note:

Folder structure & files names based on WIKI recommendations:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

When you said Symlink, an idea came to my mind. Thank you.

I solved this problem by creating a hard link to each episode and put all the "new" episode links to the series folder.

But now there are duplicates in the library so I put a .ignore file to the episodes in the movies folder.

For futurama, this wasn't ideal since there were 7 seasons so I did the opposite. I put all the "original' files including the 4 movies in the series folder. Then hard links to the movies, etc.

Then I just grouped them as a collection

PPS. I'm choosing this as best answer so that ppl searching can find easily.

Edited by thura10

d00zah

Glad you got it sorted. Each person's sense of esthetic has a different solution. Fortunately, the platform remains reasonably flexible.