Profile Selector

DJSADERS

DJSADERS

Hi Guys,

I am planning on moving to Emby from Plex however i have a question.

In our house we have young children so currently have a Kids account and password protected Adult account, which can be selected from a profile screen.

No passwords are required to load the Kids account at all, or access the profile screen after connecting the app to the server.

My server is 100% remote (it's hosted by Hetzner)... This isn't a problem for plex however.

So to change an account all we choose is the cog button then select switch user, the profile selection screen comes up, and the kids can access their section easily.

So how can i achieve the same thing from within emby?

Deathsquirrel

Install Emby.  Create two user accounts.  Set a password for one but not for the other.

I suggest setting the kids-only content to its own library so you don't see it at all when logged in as an adult.  You can grant your kids access to both libraries, with parental controls based on movie ratings, but give yourself access only to the library you want to see.

DJSADERS

Hi thanks for the reply

However this doesnt solve my problem... As anyone that may find my emby server could access my library... as stated the server is remote (its in finland im in the uk).

On plex it works like this:

Connect App to Plex Account -> Profile selection Screen -> Media

This is on a remote connection, if you try to manually connect to the server or browse to the interface you need to login with an account before the profile selection screen appears.

Netflix also has a similar layout...

Hi, our profiles are full user accounts and they can login individually. What you want to do is give each user a password, and then activate the setting to allow them to login on the home network without a password.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

DJSADERS

This is looking more like a lost cause...

I need sub profiles the same as Netflix and Plex have...

Also as mentioned TWICE before my sever is REMOTE so the home network setup will not work for me

serpi

[...] and then activate the setting to allow them to login on the home network without a password.

I've read this before in another thread and would like to use it, but where do I find this setting?

Ciao, Alfred

I need sub profiles the same as Netflix and Plex have...

Both of those services require you to have a central account with that company's website in order to access your system.  Our system is not designed that way.  Instead, you are in complete control of the user accounts - it doesn't go through us to get to your server.

This is why you are finding it difficult to create a central login with then sub-access to other profiles.

I think with a remote-only server, you will have no choice but to put passwords on each account if you don't want them easily exposed to anyone.

Thanks.

DJSADERS

Why not just let each user login individually?

Because my children are too young to understand how to signout and relogin with the details.

Also The downstairs TV, and XBOX is ahred between myself and the children so profiles would work in this case.

If this is not possible, i am happy to leave emby now before i put anymore time into it...

However it's a big feature that after searching on the forums has been requested a few times before, and other media software providers also have built in.

If this is not possible, i am happy to leave emby now before i put anymore time into it...

However it's a big feature that after searching on the forums has been requested a few times before, and other media software providers also have built in.

It is possible in almost all instances as we have built special provisions into the system for it.  However, those provisions require the use of a local server instance.  That is the part that is unusual about your setup and that makes it more difficult.

I just wanted to be sure that was clear for any readers.

Thanks.

DJSADERS

It is possible in almost all instances as we have built special provisions into the system for it.  However, those provisions require the use of a local server instance.  That is the part that is unusual about your setup and that makes it more difficult.

I just wanted to be sure that was clear for any readers.

Thanks.

On the back of that i would say remote servers are becoming more popular with the cloud storage providers now offering affordable space for example i pay £5 per month for unlimited google drive space.

This means that remote streaming is very easy...

On the back of that i would say remote servers are becoming more popular with the cloud storage providers now offering affordable space for example i pay £5 per month for unlimited google drive space.

This means that remote streaming is very easy...

Yes, but read your TOS with that cloud storage provider... ;).

• Like 1