Library set up error: "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."

EmbyManOne

EmbyManOne

Hello,

When I try and set up a media library on my new Emby install I get the error: "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."

I have this issue on two different laptops running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS so I have to assume that is this an issue that has been asked about before. However, after Googling and trawling through this forum I haven't found any information that has helped me to resolve this issue.

A few posts I have read would seem to suggest that I'm experiencing a permissions issue, but none of the posts I have read provided a clear explanation about what the problem is and how to fix it.

Any help to resolve this is much appreciated.

Thanks

5ad34aef6932c_emby.png

mastrmind11

Emby needs *at least* read permission to your shares.... write permission if you want to save metadata with your media (recommended).  Depending on how much experience you have with linux, post back we can go from there.

EmbyManOne

Thanks @mastermind11. I'm an Ubuntu desktop users for over 10 years so I have messed about a bit, however, my focus has been on using my computer to accomplish things rather than develop a knowledge of the workings of my OS.

My best effort has been to add the emby user to my user group, for examplemy user name is mike with group mike I tried:

usermod -a -G john embyI'm afraid I'm a bit dyslexic and I have always struggled to get my head around the Linux permissions model!Your help is very much appreciated 
Edited by EmbyManOne

mastrmind11

ok so go to your library root direftory and type

ls -l

and paste the results back here.

EmbyManOne

So, I'm trying to set up /home/mike/Movies as my library folder.

Is the library root directory /mike? i.e., do I open a terminal and run ls -l from within the /mike directory?

EmbyManOne

I don't want to post the entire contetns but here is the result for the Movies directory:

drwxrwxr-x  2 mike emby   4096 Apr 15 13:58 Movies

The rest of the folders, by way of example, are:

drwxrwxr-x  4 mike mike   4096 Apr 16 01:20 Desktop

mastrmind11

ok, that should be fine, assuming you're either running Emby as user emby or user mike.  What do the permissions look like 1 level deeper in Movies?

EmbyManOne

When I run ls -l from within the Movies directory I get:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 mike mike 1493205982 Feb  2 17:29 filename.ext

EmbyManOne

I understand that the default Emby user is emby, but I was having trouble with that so I did go into the Emby config file and follow the instructions in the comments in that file and override the default user with user: mike. That didn't resolve my issue, so I put the config file back to default.

Could the problem be that the emby user does not have permissions for my home directory /home/mike ?

mastrmind11

so Emby is running as emby user?  And you said you added emby to the mike group? (bad practice, btw).  What is the output of 

cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd | xargs groups

and 

ps aux | grep Emby

• 5 months later...
edencorbin

Had this issue on a fresh installed hard drive. It was auto detected and working on my ubuntu machine as /media/user/xyz however I had to follow these steps to add a mounted hard drive

sudo mkdir /hdd

sudo vim /etc/fstab

add this line to end of file:

/dev/sdb1 /hdd ext4 defaults 0 0

mount the hard drive

mount /hdd

chmod permissions:

sudo chmod 777 /hdd -R

Finally it added and synced my 500GB of music (quickly), excited to test this out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
iphreaki
On 9/27/2018 at 12:15 AM, edencorbin said:

Had this issue on a fresh installed hard drive. It was auto detected and working on my ubuntu machine as /media/user/xyz however I had to follow these steps to add a mounted hard drive

sudo mkdir /hdd

sudo vim /etc/fstab

mount the hard drive

mount /hdd

chmod permissions:

sudo chmod 777 /hdd -R

Finally it added and synced my 500GB of music (quickly), excited to test this out.

This is the first thing I have found that has helped...

Thank You Very Much!!

Just FYI...

I also had to add the emby user to the emby and sambashare groups

Then I had to add proper permissions to the   /media/rootuser

seeing as I am using external drives to store the media

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
mammad81
On 9/27/2018 at 8:45 AM, edencorbin said:

sudo mkdir /hdd

sudo vim /etc/fstab

mount the hard drive

mount /hdd

chmod permissions:

sudo chmod 777 /hdd -R

if someone like me unfamiliar with edit fstab, this is newbie solution in GUI Method :

• Create your Directories in /mnt for content partition yo want add in emby path, for example Movies For your movies partition
  • Type disks on the launcher or gnome-disks in the terminal start the Disks application.(see 1.png)
  • Select Drive, then partition, then use More actions (cogs icon) button to access 'Edit Mount Options' menu.(see 2png)
  • Turn off User Defaults because you would not be here if it was really worked :)
  • set your mount directory path(mnt/movies for example)in mount point.(see 3.png)

if you can't see or mount your NTFS drive make sure ntfs-3g is installed

1.png

3.png

2.png

• Thanks 1