New to Emby from Plex

kjhedges

kjhedges

Hello to all Emby users.

I have just finished converting from Plex to Emby and thought I would share some thoughts and also have some questions.

I had been an avid plex pass user for many years, until the last update. Where as everything slowed down. Things not loading and many other problems.

Anyway, I thought Id give Emby a shout. So I initially tried to install the server on the machine that had plex on, but failed to install at every turn. Obviously I wasn't in good spirits with the thought of restarting a media server with some 4000 movies and 1700 Tv Series (32TB of media) Oh, and then there's Music

Then I found your Portable Install. I thought that will do perfect. I can set it all up. back it all up. and back up media database as time goes on.  Lovely.

And all this is working a treat.  Although it took some 8 days to get completely set up with all my media. Added some custom icons for libraries etc. and it plays lovely to my devices.   (Samsung Smart TV , Roku 3, handheld device and tablets. And the web app works great through my home network).

So, all in all there is no room to complain about this software from me at all.

I do however have a couple of questions.

I am trying to change the genre icons from both movie and tv genres. I currently have the custom emby built ones made by system. And I have traced these down and replaced with other png files of the same dimensions, but then a fresh one is made and not my custom one. 

I have search and googled this, but most solution revert back some years and are not relevant in the current build and there is not alot of info regarding portable server install.

Also, when viewing a tv series, and we watch and episode, then go down to next episode and so on, when we finish with that show, we have to click back back back several times to get back to home screen. Is there a home button of sorts for the roku 3 app?

Anyways, I shall now continue searching for more info on emby server and apps.

Server Version 3.3.1.0  Portable Install

Edited by kjhedges

Hi and welcome!

Also, when viewing a tv series, and we watch and episode, then go down to next episode and so on, when we finish with that show, we have to click back back back several times to get back to home screen. Is there a home button of sorts for the roku 3 app?

Have you considered turning on the "Auto queue next episode" feature and just letting it play until you want to stop watching that show?

kjhedges

Have you considered turning on the "Auto queue next episode" feature and just letting it play until you want to stop watching that show?

Hi, I did have that option on first of all, but prefer to select next episode in list manually. We only actually have 4 main series we watch a few episodes a time.

Its having a home button in the header or something that I miss from Plex. No matter where you was or had been, a simple click home and you at home.

If we have a afternoon of tv series then decide to watch a movie, its actually easier to click home on roku and reload app than to click back, back, back ......etc

Hi, I did have that option on first of all, but prefer to select next episode in list manually. We only actually have 4 main series we watch a few episodes a time.

Its having a home button in the header or something that I miss from Plex. No matter where you was or had been, a simple click home and you at home.

If we have a afternoon of tv series then decide to watch a movie, its actually easier to click home on roku and reload app than to click back, back, back ......etc

Okay, thanks for the feedback.  We've discussed this but haven't come up with a good way to provide for it yet.

kjhedges

Okay, thanks for the feedback.  We've discussed this but haven't come up with a good way to provide for it yet.

Ah, that is good to hear that you have discussed this and it is a possible option in the future.

Problem is there is no home screen on all remotes or applications so it's not easily going to be universal if using buttons.  We would need to add a home menu or implement a key series such as 3 back button presses in rapid succession or similar.

We would need to add a home menu or implement a key series such as 3 back button presses in rapid succession or similar.

I think those are reasonable suggestions.

Problem is there is no home screen on all remotes or applications so it's not easily going to be universal if using buttons.  We would need to add a home menu or implement a key series such as 3 back button presses in rapid succession or similar.

I think he was asking for an on-screen button of some sort and we can probably do that but have to reserve space for it somehow.  On the TV apps there just isn't as much space at the top (due to everything needing to be larger).

As for using special handling of a back button the issue we would hit there is that most of the platforms (Android for sure) handle the back button internally.  Us trying to modify its behavior becomes pretty sticky pretty fast.  And the ones that have "Home" buttons on the remote usually don't allow any access to that from within an app (always goes to device home screen).  Given that and the different remote setups, an on-screen button is the most "do-able".

arrbee99

Like wot I mentioned elsewhere, a Home button would be nice on Fire TV too (preferably a remote button long press or something, as adding a Home button on the screen would presumably be something else to navigate too).

kjhedges

I would think a viable option for a home button would be the emby logo. Basically scroll up to emby logo, click ok and it redirect you to main home screen.

Not sure if completely viable, but on my Roku and Samsung TV, this would make it easier to navigate in my opinion.

Like I say though, Just putting the suggestion out there.

• Like 2

I would think a viable option for a home button would be the emby logo. Basically scroll up to emby logo, click ok and it redirect you to main home screen.

Not sure if completely viable, but on my Roku and Samsung TV, this would make it easier to navigate in my opinion.

Like I say though, Just putting the suggestion out there.

That doesn't seem very obvious to me.

Nothing would indicate that the logo can be navigated to nor is it obvious what would happen when you click it.  If anything, I might expect to go to the Emby home page on the web...

Guest asrequested

Nothing would indicate that the logo can be navigated to nor is it obvious what would happen when you click it. If anything, I might expect to go to the Emby home page on the web...

But it's common. While I can't think of a specific example, right now, I know I click on the logo in other apps, to go home. That's very intuitive, to me. Click logo and I go to the beginning. What would it hurt to add that?

psybertech

I haven't tried Roku yet, but if you are clicking SELECT on a show to start it (brings you to the details page first) and then clicking PLAY after it loads, then you have more clicks to get back to the home screen.

However, if you click PLAY on the item directly from the home screen, then it is one BACK click to return to the home screen and it will refresh automatically and show the next episode.

If your device supports clicking the PLAY button on the home screen, this is the fastest option.

I have a FireTV I use most of the time and this is how I use it now. I too hate extra clicks to get HOME. Clicking PLAY on any item is just a better way to use the system unless you really need to see the details of the episode or movie before watching. For me, I just want to play what I see.

Maybe that helps?

kjhedges

Nothing would indicate that the logo can be navigated to nor is it obvious what would happen when you click it.  If anything, I might expect to go to the Emby home page on the web...

Can I say firstly, that I did not say in any way that it seems 'Obvious' to me. And I do feel, (well i did feel this morning when I first read that post) that your reply seems very aggressive in tone.

I also did not say that anything would indicate that the logo can be navigated to.

I merely made a suggestion for a home button, which IMHO some people would benefit from a home button, some people wouldn't care about it.

Now, i mentioned, and another user, has mentioned about plex and their home navigation button. Which is a benefit for their system. And as I was told in this topic, the home navigation in some form has been discussed behind the scenes.

As for implementation. I don't know fully yet how your system works, but saying that from reading and looking about myself from other posts over the time, it is something that can be done but isnt warranted to do so at the moment with the cost of something else more relevant.

I have since this evening read the above quote a few times and cannot get over the arrogance that appear from it for a simple suggestion off something that to me and others would be a benefit.

Rant over.....  Im now done with this post, topic ect.please feel free to lock block delete whatever.

Hi, apologies, that was not the intention. Your feedback is very valuable to us. We agree there should be a faster way to get back to home and we can certainly look at the different ideas mentioned here. I think ebr only meant to say that an actual home button would be more obvious than the logo.

kjhedges

I agree that a home button would be more beneficial that using the logo.

Perhaps it is just the way im reading the above post where i was told "It Not Obvious To Me"

Also, "Nothing would indicate that the logo can be navigated to nor is it obvious what would happen when you click it.  If anything, I might expect to go to the Emby home page on the web..."

Currently,nothing happens in web app if click on logo, Its just an image url and not hyperlink. Now, if lets say the web app had that little code and the logo said EmbyHome then a link to main home could be established.

Weather this could be replicated over different platforms with the emby app, only you and the developers would know fully.

Now, I dont want bad feeling between my self and the emby app, community, or the people who keep this all running. Like I said early on, the Portable server and apps i use are great for my needs.

So, I shall just keep up to date with the Emby server and apps,(Like I am doing with plex) and see what progresses. 

I thank you for a great Media Server

Sorry if that came across as short. Not intended at all that way.

Things in the UI need to be "obvious" to an end user, otherwise, they will never discover them and, therefore, not know they exist.  That was what I meant by that statement.

I think the only practical solution is to actually have an on-screen button and we just need to figure out how to make that happen.  Space has to be reserved for it in all situations where it is needed and sometimes that can be difficult.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
kjhedges

Just an update to the Portable Windows Server of this Emby media server.

as per this topic, I am using the Portable Sever which I have found to be very useful.

I installed a test portable server on a machine a couple of weeks or so ago and set it all up with 32 TB of media. Took some 8 days to setup completely but it got done.

Yesterday, I decided to move it to a more powerful computer. This actually went with some ease.

I have a 23GB Embyserver folder, (which I back up daily), simply copied this over to the other computer to be used. Adjusted a couple of file structures as most of the media is accesss via network and didnt need changing.

Kept the file structure of the original install  (c:/users..........ect)

And within an hour the minor changes for folder structure refreshed and voila. all done.

So, all in all a good experience here for moving a server with the least hassle.

For those with windows installs, I do recommend the Portable Emby Server install.