Check for applications update failed - crashes Emby server

bangis

bangis

I'm using Emby server 3.2.50 (Qnap Stephane version) on my QNAP 653A and am now getting this application update failure which crashes the Emby server. A stop/restart of Emby solves the problem

I have no intention to migrate to the official x64 version as I do not use hardware acceleration (all clients are on Kodi using the Emby addon) and everything is working as well as I want it. I'm afraid migrating to the official Emby version will cause more problems than its worth, reading the thread. As they say, don't fix a problem that ain't broken

However, I am now getting this application update failure. I read that versions prior to 3.20.36 could have an SSL issue that causes this, but I am already on 3.2.50.

Any possible fix? Is it possible to turn off this auto update since I don't use any Emby application anyway?

PenkethBoy

the newer version is not just for hardware acceleration - its moved away from Mono to .net core which has numerous advantages - its faster, less memory usage - much more stable, new features..............

i have been running it on my 853A for months and its not an issue

getting any sort of fix for a mono version is about zero and its discontinued for x64 QNAP platforms

you can turn off auto updates in the dashboard

use the backup plugin and then upgrade restore you users/watched status etc with the backup plugin - enjoy the newer better emby :) you will be glad you did

bangis

Thank you - I found the way to turn off auto updates in the dashboard (under scheduled tasks)

I understand all the talk on it's faster, better on .Net vs Mono, etc etc, but to be honest, for my use, I'm not sure how much faster I need it to be. As mentioned, I use Kodi (with the Emby addon) as client, and whether on the local network or remotely, media plays as soon as I click on it. No lag, no fuss. So I really don't see what other value migrating will give me, other than the risk of something going very wrong and me spending days on this forum trying to fix it, when it didn't really need fixing to begin with

The other bigger issue is the fact that I have several relatives with media players/clients streaming from my QNAP that are senior citizens, not tech savvy, and located in other countries. I can't imagine them being able to fiddle around with the Emby addon settings under Kodi if the port changes, and/or it switches to HTTPS. On the contrary, they will probably spend good money physically shipping their boxes to me just to change some settings. Seems like it's hardly worth the hassle

Until there is a new feature that forces migration to the new versions, will be happy to keep this (or upgrade to the latest one released by QNAP Stephane for x64 - 3.20.70), as long as it works

Thanks again 

Edited by bangis

PenkethBoy

stephane is not releasing any more x64 versions as the official one is on the emby website

if you do get a problem in the future - i suspect Luke will want you to upgrade - especially as time moves on

as far as your remote users - they should not see any change - apart from a bit of downtime etc

up to you