Refresh Rate Switching ShieldTV

Sammy

Sammy

• Refresh rate switching will now do a better job of matching rates that are "close"

The blog entry for the latest Android TV app has the above statement and I have a few questions if I may..

What does "better job if close" mean? 

What is the recommended frame rate in the general settings for the AndroidTV Device (this case a ShieldTV)?

It seems that I'm not getting refresh rate switching at all and it will stick on whatever it is set at in the general settings. PLEX has a setting for this in the app settings. Did I miss it in the Emby App Settings?

Thanks.

Jdiesel

The blog entry for the latest Android TV app has the above statement and I have a few questions if I may..

What is the recommended frame rate in the general settings for the AndroidTV Device (this case a ShieldTV)?

It seems that I'm not getting refresh rate switching at all and it will stick on whatever it is set at in the general settings. PLEX has a setting for this in the app settings. Did I miss it in the Emby App Settings?

Thanks.

I think better if close refers to those rare cases where 23.97hz <--> 24hz was being selected incorrectly.

The recomended frame rate would be whatever you want for all other apps besides Emby. In my case I select 2160p 59hz rec2020.

There is an option in settings-->playback to enable it.

Sammy

I think better if close refers to those rare cases where 23.97hz <--> 24hz was being selected incorrectly.

The recomended frame rate would be whatever you want for all other apps besides Emby. In my case I select 2160p 59hz rec2020.

There is an option in settings-->playback to enable it.

In the shield or in the Emby App?

I had the shield set to 23.97Hz to get proper film playback but it sticks so I set it back to 59Hz (don't recall the other specifics) to eliminate stutter on 30fps / 60fps content but I'm not getting 23.97Hz when needed. 

Thanks

This was for situations where items had odd frame rates like 23.68 or something.  In those cases before we might have chosen 24 but now would choose 23.97.

PLEX has a setting for this in the app settings. Did I miss it in the Emby App Settings?

This has been there for well over a year...

5ad10fc0cdf90_refreshswitch.png

Sammy

Sorry.. I just started using Shield about two months ago. IIR I did make this setting but maybe it got changed. I'll look again.

Thanks.

Jdiesel

Sorry.. I just started using Shield about two months ago. IIR I did make this setting but maybe it got changed. I'll look again.

Thanks.

Depending on your display you make not even notice it switching. On my projector it takes a good 3-4 seconds to switch at which time the display goes black, on my Sony TV the switch takes less than 0.5 seconds and you don't even notice it.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Sammy

Depending on your display you make not even notice it switching. On my projector it takes a good 3-4 seconds to switch at which time the display goes black, on my Sony TV the switch takes less than 0.5 seconds and you don't even notice it.

On my VT60 it takes about a second and it is noticeable with a momentary black screen. If it doesn't switch is noticeable when playing 30 / 60 content at 23 / 24.. Plus I have the TVInfo button which tells me what the display is outputting..

Wow.  Sweet.  I've never seen a display be able to mode switch without going black for at least a second or two.

CBers

On my LG 4K it's a couple of seconds, with the spinning circle of hate.

Any way of removing that @@ebr please?

• Like 1