Direct Playback no longer working on 1.5.65a

SeanM

SeanM

Since the release of 1.5.65a (FireTV), all my media is Direct Streaming (remux'ing) instead of Direct Playing. Reason shown in the dashboard is that the FireTV won't play .MKV continers, so requires remuxing.

Another issue, that may or may not be tied to this, is around the new De-Interfacing options. If I uncheck the "De-Interlace SD Content on the server side", none of my media plays at all (even HD content) and no ffmpeg log is generated. With this option checked, everything plays fine.  Might this be tied to the forced remuxing?  In my case I do not stream live tv,  and none of my content is interlaced.

The log shows that Directplay should be supported:
               "SupportsTranscoding":true,

"SupportsDirectStream":true,

"SupportsDirectPlay":true

Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, Path: D:\Movies\Movie.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, No direct play profiles found for D:\Movies\Movie.mkv

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no profile found for direct play?

Anyone else seeing this since 1.5.65a hit?
Thanks
Edited by SeanM

Hi.  Please do provide details for your first issue.  You can also use the new "Stats for nerds" in the app to show you critical information about what is happening.  I suspect, the reason for remuxing may actually be a failure attempting to direct play the item (Stats for nerds will tell you if this is the case).

Your second issue, I actually discovered myself yesterday and it was fixed in the latest beta (that went up last night).

Thanks!

SeanM

Hi.  Please do provide details for your first issue.  You can also use the new "Stats for nerds" in the app to show you critical information about what is happening.  I suspect, the reason for remuxing may actually be a failure attempting to direct play the item (Stats for nerds will tell you if this is the case).

Your second issue, I actually discovered myself yesterday and it was fixed in the latest beta (that went up last night).

Thanks!

Stats for nerds is reporting that it is "unsupported video" (although this was fine prior to 1.5.65a).  And it is only direct streaming, not transcoding.  If the video was actually unsupported by the player, I would expect it to force a transcode rather than a simple remux.

Its playing 8-Bit HEVC video with 2 Channel AAC audio.

SeanM

After doing some testing, this appears to affect any .mkv with HEVC encoding..   In other words, all HEVC 8-bit encodes are being direct streamed instead of direct played.  This occurs locally and over the internet. 

Reason given is always that the mkv container is not compatible with the device.

5ad76eef007f5_Capture.png

I will see about uploading logs if needed.