Samsung 75" SmartTV - 4:3 movies unable to fit screen

JulesC

JulesC

I have a 75" Samsung SmartTV connected to my Windows 10 - HTPC via HDMI. When I try play an older movie (.mp4) that has an aspect ratio of 4:3, I have a huge black bar on each side of the TV screen. I called Samsung TV support, and they told me that there is no setting on the TV to address this (i.e. Fit to Screen, Zoom, etc.). They advised me that I should work with the Video Player provider - i.e. Emby  :)

FYI - I'm running the latest version of the Emby Theater for Windows and Emby Server. 

Please let me know if there are any settings I can change in Emby to address this.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Julio

Happy2Play

I have a 75" Samsung SmartTV connected to my Windows 10 - HTPC via HDMI. When I try play an older movie (.mp4) that has an aspect ratio of 4:3, I have a huge black bar on each side of the TV screen. I called Samsung TV support, and they told me that there is no setting on the TV to address this (i.e. Fit to Screen, Zoom, etc.). They advised me that I should work with the Video Player provider - i.e. Emby  :)

FYI - I'm running the latest version of the Emby Theater for Windows and Emby Server. 

Please let me know if there are any settings I can change in Emby to address this.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Julio

All this does is distort or loss visible content.

Agreed on all accounts.

However, my 75" Samsung TV certainly does have zoom abilities built right into the TV as just about all TV do.

Check your manual.

Carlo

• Like 1

Hi, we need to add a zoom setting to the app so that you can do this.

Luke something I've thought about is, what about a 1/2 stretch option?

I know that sounds weird but think about it.  This would allow us to stretch the old content out somewhat but not fully like most clients presently do.  Often times the full stretch just makes things look distorted but if it was only somewhat stretched it may be far more tolerable and be able to make more use of the screen real-estate.

Also it would be awesome to be able to set the state of ZOOM on a SERIES basis or a default to use for any/all 4:3 content.  It currently sucks to bing watch an old series and have to eep enabling this option for every episode.

Something like the following

ORIGINAL:

[XXXXXXXXXX]

1/2

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

FULL Stretch

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

Edited by cayars

JulesC

Cayars,

Under the "Picture Size" settings it does have an option "Zoom & Fit to Screen", but they are grayed out. How did you get your settings to be enabled? Is your Samsung 75" connected to a HTPC via HDMI? Just trying to figure out what's different. Thanks for any help.

Agreed on all accounts.

However, my 75" Samsung TV certainly does have zoom abilities built right into the TV as just about all TV do.

Check your manual.

Carlo

pmac

Cayars,

Under the "Picture Size" settings it does have an option "Zoom & Fit to Screen", but they are grayed out. How did you get your settings to be enabled? Is your Samsung 75" connected to a HTPC via HDMI? Just trying to figure out what's different. Thanks for any help.

As long as you're connected with hdmi you should be able to access the picture size controls; on Samsung tv's you're unable to use picture size controls on apps running directly from the tv though for some reason.