Random Grey Screens

tekman13

tekman13

I’ve been getting frequent (a couple times a week) grey screens on fire tv. It happens most frequently:

— if I have the app set to auto login, or

— after leaving the app by hitting the home button and then returning (regardless of auto-login status)

Is this a known issue?

arrbee99

Not sure if I should comment as it might be different, but recently seem to find app takes a while to start up - sits there with grey screen for a while (can't really define 'a while') and then stuff appears. Maybe sometimes it just sits and I give up and press the Home button.

Sometimes I thing I have quite a few HDD on the PC and its spinning those up but am to lazy to dash in to the study to check.

Think is a 2nd Gen FTV box on latest beta.

Croll12

I have this issue daily.  Only way to get it working again is to force close the app.  It would be great if there was a fix for this.  

Is it possible you're starting up the app before the server is available? Yes the app does handle that, but I'm just asking the question to try and gather information. Thanks.

Croll12

In my case, no. My server is always running. I think it has to do with not exiting the app, but pressing the home button instead and a combination of resuming from sleep. I used to have a lot of issues with Kodi when resuming from sleep if it was left open.

You mean the android device resuming from sleep, right? Or the emby server?

Hi.

A new version of the app was just released on the Fire yesterday.  Can you please be sure you are updated to that version (1.5.65) and then see if this problem still occurs?

Thanks.

tekman13

Hey sorry to post and disappear. It just happened to me on 1.5.65a, on latest Fire TV hw (square/diamond dongle).

(Side note, appreciate the cleaner home screen on the new version.)

Similar to posted earlier, server is always on. It usually happens if I don’t log out of the app before switching apps, then an extended period of time passes. In this specific instance:

Had the app open last night (had the new home screen, so knew it was the new version). Listened to music for about an hour.

Paused the music.

Hit home on fire tv remote.

Turned off the tv.

Wife/kid used the tv all day (not emby)

Came back to open emby for more music, and grey screen.

Hey sorry to post and disappear. It just happened to me on 1.5.65a, on latest Fire TV hw (square/diamond dongle).

(Side note, appreciate the cleaner home screen on the new version.)

Similar to posted earlier, server is always on. It usually happens if I don’t log out of the app before switching apps, then an extended period of time passes. In this specific instance:

Had the app open last night (had the new home screen, so knew it was the new version). Listened to music for about an hour.

Paused the music.

Hit home on fire tv remote.

Turned off the tv.

Wife/kid used the tv all day (not emby)

Came back to open emby for more music, and grey screen.

Thanks for the detailed process.  I'll try to reproduce.

Do you have the app set to login to a user automatically or show the login screen?  Password or no?

tekman13

Thanks for the detailed process. I'll try to reproduce.

Do you have the app set to login to a user automatically or show the login screen? Password or no?

Not set to auto login, no password. (Though in the past having it set to auto login causes grey screens more frequently.)

I can test later tonight with auto login tonight to see if it happens (grey screens) more reliably.

Not sure if it would be easier to start a new thread, but also noticed weird stuff happens if you try tuning to live TV, then click back before video starts playing.

Not sure if it would be easier to start a new thread, but also noticed weird stuff happens if you try tuning to live TV, then click back before video starts playing.

Yes, a new thread and start it by defining "weird stuff" ;).

Croll12

Mine is set to auto login with no password. There is a 5 second delay now with 1/3 black bar on left and rest is grey, but it does work. This is from resuming the Fire TV from sleep. Pressing the home to exit Emby and then running other apps for a period of time, then opening Emby will instantly display where it left off. I have not had to force close since the update.

Mine is set to auto login with no password. There is a 5 second delay now with 1/3 black bar on left and rest is grey, but it does work. This is from resuming the Fire TV from sleep. Pressing the home to exit Emby and then running other apps for a period of time, then opening Emby will instantly display where it left off. I have not had to force close since the update.

Thanks.  That sounds like it is working properly.  What you see at startup is just a delay loading from your server.  If you adjust your home screen to have less information on it this may improve.

Croll12

Thanks for the tip. I don’t mind the delay if I’m the end it still works.

Another great feature from the update is while watchitng live tv and hitting the guide button it displays the current channel. It used to always be 4 channels off. I never said anything before because it was annoying, not a show stopper.

arrbee99

Ah so it takes longer to load cause you've changed it to match the web/ET/etc with all the libraries and stuff. Never thought of that.

Fratopolis

I have learned to just back out of the app and never exit using the home button. Something about running in the background for too long messing something up. Would happen to my mother at her house as well. Brought this up a long time ago but nothin ever came of it, Another quirk only on AndroidTV and FireTV app.

Back button is your friend in this case. After a while you wont even notice you do it. Will become second nature LOL

Edited by Fratopolis

Fratopolis

I have learned to just back out of the app and never exit using the home button. Something about running in the background for too long messing something up. Would happen to my mother at her house as well. Brought this up a long time ago but nothin ever came of it, Another quirk only on AndroidTV and FireTV app.

Back button is your friend in this case. After a while you wont even notice you do it. Will become second nature LOL

Let the Emby team know if this helps others as well by (hitting the back button until Emby closes instead of just hitting the home button). It may/may not help them diagnose further but more information is better I always say.