Anyone own a Define R6 case - Fractal Design

chef

chef

While I have an order coming from Amazon for some security cameras I was thinking about possibly upgrading my Emby server case to the Define R6 by Fractal Design.

Anyone have an R6?

I'd love to know what you think about it.

Erik

I don't have an R6, but I do have a Define XL R2 and a Define R4.

They are by far the best cases I have ever used, exceeded every expectation.

The only issue I have had was I wanted to order an extra drive cage for the XL, however, for me up in Canada they have no support. So that means all returns for warranty are only covered by the reseller only. Never had any problems and didn't stop me from buying the R4.

• Like 1

chef

I don't have an R6, but I do have a Define XL R2 and a Define R4.

They are by far the best cases I have ever used, exceeded every expectation.

The only issue I have had was I wanted to order an extra drive cage for the XL, however, for me up in Canada they have no support. So that means all returns for warranty are only covered by the reseller only. Never had any problems and didn't stop me from buying the R4.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna press the Submit Order.

legallink

I am in similar camp to Erik, although my experience was slightly different.  On the whole it was a good case.  I' a big believer in slient cases, and the R series let me do that.

1. It was pretty easy to build in.  Loved that.

Cable management was decent, motherboard tray was easy to work with, enough thumb screws, good spacing.

2. I found that the front facade was easy to break off the machine, wasn't really happy with the on/off at the top,   Let's just say that too often something or someone would accidentally turn off the machine on a fairly regular basis.   The front door for the most part was pretty good at staying closed. But, in the end, after maybe 4 years, tossed the case because the front facade kept breaking off.

3. Venting on the machine was great.  I've got a Node 804 holding my server now, and love that because of the hard drive support, but it isn't my daily driver.  Just sits on a desk and I open it up maybe twice a year at best.  

4. On the whole, my experience is that fractal design builds a solid rig, but it has to be one that doesn't getting moved/banged around much.  My daily driver, I liked to tinker, fiddle around, open it up, etc.  The FD's only like that from main access side panels.  If you are taking that front facade off any more than a few times, it's not going to hold up.

• Like 1

Erik

Just to add to @@legallink I use both cases as servers and other than opening the standand doors for drive changes, etc I don't take the other stuff on and off. Just for some context as well.

• Like 1

chef

Bought it. Sweet! I don't think the one I got has the glass side panel though. I hope it does.

I'm gonna build a DIY LCD transparent side panel with the tempered glass.

This'll be good! I hope.

chef

No glass window. That is okay because now I don't have to cable manage, and it is huge! I'm very happy. This emby server is going to be massive. Wow!

chef

Here is some interesting info.

Initial test show the CPU at idle (with the extra fan support and room) running a whopping 8 degrees cooler then before.

Under load (emby transcode four streams) running between 5 - 6 degrees cooler then before.

Edited by chef