"Server unavailable" on ATV and Android Mobile apps, but connects fine on web client

pmac

pmac

I'm trying to connect my Android TV box to my Emby server and having some issues. As the title says, I'm able to connect to the web client through my browser with no issues, but using either of the Android apps I'm unable to connect to the server. I've tried manually, and using connect; both get the same issue. I had the Android TV app working on this device a while ago, but haven't used it for a couple months, and now I can't seem to connect. I've also tried reinstalling both apps to no avail...

Any ideas what could be causing the issue? I have the Android mobile app working on another older TV box, and every other device in my home (Mobile phones, ET, Samsung TV, Windows tablet and Android tablet); this is the only device giving me problems, and it worked a couple months ago (nothing has changed since my last use).

Thanks,

Patrick

When connecting manually are you sure you're using the correct address? is this a local or remote connection?

pmac

When connecting manually are you sure you're using the correct address? is this a local or remote connection?

Yes, and it's a local connection.

pmac

What address are you using?

The local IP of my server machine "192.168.2.121" and port 8096

As I said in my previous replies, it's working on 6 or 7 other devices, just not this one; and this is a new higher-end Android box

pmac

I've looked everywhere, but haven't found anything to suggest so. Also, it was working fine a month or two ago when I initially set it up; I just haven't used it since then until yesterday, and now I can't for the life of me get it to work again...

My next step will be to reset my Android box to factory settings unless someone has a better idea

pmac

It just seems strange that the web client would work on this device (I'm using it as I type this), but both apps are unable to connect.

pmac

Ok, so I decided to go have a cigarette and then tried the EXACT same thing I've been doing for two days, and now both apps are working again... I literally didn't touch or change anything.

pmac

Is it possible you were entering the wrong address?

No, I'm 100% certain I entered the correct address (about 30 times). I have no idea why it started working again. After thinking about it, the only thing I did between having a cigarette and it working again (lol) is downloading Google Chrome; my Android box came with Firefox preinstalled, and I wanted to try the web client in Chrome to see if it would work any better (I was getting some stuttering with Firefox). Chrome seemed to work fine, so I thought I'd try the app again, and it just worked right away. I didn't do anything differently than last time I tried...

pmac

It's back to not working again...

It was working fine earlier, and it's working currently on all of my other devices, but on this particular Android box I'm getting "Server Unavailable - The server Emby Server cannot be reached. It may no longer be available. Would you like to remove it?"

This is the same server I was watching a show on earlier today, just all of a sudden its not working. My Web browser, Spotify, etc are still working on this device, just not emby...

pmac

Hmm... It appears I can no longer access Emby through the web client on this device either... I still have full internet access on this device though, but can no longer access anything to do with emby.

pmac

Also, just to add. I can access my router from this device (192.168.2.1) and configure it, but I can't access the machine emby is running on (192.168.2.121).

Any ideas?

pmac

Sorry for the flurry of posts... It just randomly connected again, and is working fine again across all apps on this device.

Any ideas what could be causing this inconsistency? All of my other devices work flawlessly.

pmac

@@Luke @@ebr do either of you have any ideas what could be causing this issue? It's stopped working again, and this is getting quite frustrating. I've just set up a 10' projection screen that is basically useless to me with this issue...

Sorry, I don't have any specific ideas except that it definitely appears to be either network or device related.

Exactly what kind of box is this?

pmac

Sounds like a network problem on that device, no?

I'm not sure what it could be though, as everything else network related works flawlessly, until I try to use any form of emby on it; then it works very sporadically.

• 2 weeks later...
pmac

I'm getting the same issue on that Android box, and an Android phone now. All of my other devices are working fine, but these two won't allow me to connect to Emby right now, through an app or web browser.

Edit: randomly started working again on the Android box in my theater room, but still isn't working on my phone. I'm assuming this must have to do with the server bug other users have reported in the Windows server forum?

Edited by pmac