New Android TV Box 'Vodafone TV' - Launching in Australia mid April

swhitmore

swhitmore

Thought you guys might be interested to hear about this new Android TV box.

Vodafone TV

• Launching Mid – April 2018 in Australia for $120 outright.
  • Netflix Approved device
  • Believed to be running Android TV 7.1.1 Nougat (Operator Tier)
  • Google Android TV Playstore with supposedly no App install restrictions
  • Includes a FTA TV Tuner
  • Manufacturer – Technicolor (Pearl model)
https://www.vodafone.com.au/red-wire/vodafone-tv-nbn-netflix 

Tech Specs:

• SoC: AMLogic S905D
  • CPU: Quad-core 1.5GHz
  • GPU: ARM Mali-450 (4K HDR Capable)
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Storage: 8GB
  • Inbuilt DVB-T Tuner
  • Dual Band ac WiFi
  • Ethernet: 100M or possibly Gigabit
  • Bluetooth 4.2 LE
  • USB2 port x 1
http://www.zdnet.com/article/vodafone-expands-nbn-rollout-launches-vodafone-tv/

https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/pay-tv-provider/vodafone-tv-australia

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

Hi @@Luke @@ebr. I've been discussing this box with people over at the Australian tech forum Whirlpool. A lot of people are asking if there is an app that will support Live TV with the built in tuner for this Android TV box. I noticed Plex have support for tuners pluged into a NVIDIA Shield, so I was wondering if it was possible for Emby to also handle Live TV from a built-in tuner.

This box seems to be getting a lot of traction downunder, so it would be great to be able to start using Emby with it.

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

Do they have api info anywhere?

Not publicly. Do you want me to contact them, or is it better coming from a dev?

I'd be extremely interested in this - currently having trouble getting Emby to work. It's failing 3/4 of the way through Refresh Guide Data. It'd be amazing to use the internal tuner instead.

Also, not sure if this is relevant to this Vodafone box or just Emby on Android TV in general (new to all of this). But, how can I get the EPG to look more like the one available in the browser app? The one on the TV looks completely different. The web browser version looks a lot nicer.

Edited by nodii

. But, how can I get the EPG to look more like the one available in the browser app? The one on the TV looks completely different. The web browser version looks a lot nicer.

Can you please explain exactly what you mean?

Thanks.

Certainly, see attached images. You'll see the first being the EPG from within the web browser on my computer and secondly the EPG from the Android TV. 

Additionally, it also shows the error on the channels not showing up (despite being able to watch them - after clicking and receiving another error). 

5ad25a6de944e_browserEPG.png

5ad25a819a3df_EPGandroidTV.jpg

post-304824-0-95782300-1523735115_thumb.png

post-304824-0-45538400-1523735123_thumb.jpg

I think he's asking you to explain what you like better about one vs. the other. Thanks.

I simply like the layout and look of the browser one a lot better - especially the dark colours. it looks cleaner and there is a lot more on the screen and yet it's easier to read. The browser EPG is stunning actually - best I've seen. The Android TV version - not so much. It almost looks dated.

Have you explored the Theme options in the app settings?  There are a couple of dark options...

Yes, the closest to it is "Dark" - but it still puts a green highlight on channels in the EPG as you scroll up/down it. I really like the plain, simple and clean look from the web app - it looks sophisticated. :)

Yes, the closest to it is "Dark" - but it still puts a green highlight on channels in the EPG as you scroll up/down it. I really like the plain, simple and clean look from the web app - it looks sophisticated. :)

The web app is point-and-click.  It has no concept of "focus" so there is no focus indicator.

In a TV app, you have to navigate with a remote control so there always must be a "focused" item.  Our brand color is what we've chosen to indicate current focus everywhere.

Also, on a TV interface, the general rules are bigger is better and less is more.  When dealing with a 10-foot interface, we cannot attempt to put as much as that web page is showing on the screen at once.  Just FYI.

To be honest, I can live with green, but it'd look a lot nicer if it were a lot more like the EPG on the browser and server settings page. The server configuration page has got a green highlight when focusing on items and looks VERY nice. I'm not against green - love it. Perhaps I'm after a 'flat' look... Both of which the web EPG and server configuration pages have and pull off very nicely. Whoever designed those did a fantastic job! :)

Edited by nodii

To be honest, I can live with green, but it'd look a lot nicer if it were a lot more like the EPG on the browser and server settings page. It's got a green highlight when focusing on items and looks VERY nice. I'm not against green - love it. Perhaps I'm after a 'flat' look... Both of which the web EPG and server configuration pages have and pull off very nicely. Whoever designed those did a fantastic job! :)

What about the TV one don't you think is "flat"?  There are no 3D effects and all colors are flat material colors...

Of course, the color of the highlight is affected greatly by the display device and TVs tend to be much more vivid and brilliant in these settings as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

swhitmore

I might be able to do a few mock-ups @@ebr. I've just started using the Android TV version of Emby. It's works really well, and I like the layouts, but I think there could be room for a bit of design polish.

• Like 1

I might be able to do a few mock-ups @@ebr. I've just started using the Android TV version of Emby. It's works really well, and I like the layouts, but I think there could be room for a bit of design polish.

Eager to see any ideas you may have, Scott.  Thanks.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Eager to see any ideas you may have, Scott.  Thanks.

Cool. I have made some progress with this. Are there design limitations in the OS I should be aware of though?

Cool. I have made some progress with this. Are there design limitations in the OS I should be aware of though?

Yes.  Mainly, we need to keep it in line with the way Android TV apps look and feel.  Mostly in the area of the lists and browsing.

https://designguidelines.withgoogle.com/android-tv/tv-apps/browse-view.html#