Maybe Moving to 1817+

majorsl

majorsl

I'm considering moving from my aging OS X Mac mini to my new Synology 1817+ (8GB RAM) NAS.

I use mostly Emby apps exclusively on AndroidTV, Android Phones, and a couple of Rokus.

Almost all my media is x265 which most of these devices play without issue.  Most is also 1080p and some 4K. Audio is mostly all AC3 and some AAC - 5.1 or 7.1.

I see very little transcoding happen with my current setup, but when it does, I'd like it to not stutter the video if the Synology is too slow.  I will move more to 4K as the years go buy.

I'd test a few devices with it for a few months and run with two instances of Emby server (my media is already on the NAS) and move my Premiere license to the Synology if all goes well.

Does anyone have an 1817+ and what is your experience?

I haven't tested this unit myself but based on the specs it looks like a great choice.

majorsl

Thanks for that. On the migration side, I'd like to keep my settings/users/configuration etc. I have backup and restore, but obviously my data paths will be different.

Is there any best practice for migration from very different servers/storage?

The one thing I would suggest is not restoring things that contain paths such as library folders, etc. I would just set those up manually.

majorsl

Thanks, probably my last question. Backup & Restore is Premiere only, not a problem on my old server, but I'd have to pop in my key on the Synology to restore, right?  I was hoping to run in parallel a bit to test on the Synology.  Is this going to "glitch the Matrix" by having my key on two servers short term?